• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build coming up on March 1st. I seek input on mobo selection.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't go! What do you mean how can you know which those are? They're any mATX board that is in stock at any Toronto area CC store.
If you know anything about B85 boards please have a look at their selection and give me some advice.

Come on dude. I give a lot back to the community here. When I need help myself it's like... rarely forthcoming in the capacity that I would like it. That's not fair.

And I refuse to buy a Dell.

First, I'm from halfway across the continent. How do I know what stores are/aren't in your area?

Second, why is it our responsibility to CHECK STOCK FOR YOU?! Take the given model number and check where it is.
I'm not your servant, and neither is anyone else here just because "you give a lot back to the community here".

Thirdly, how am I supposed to know we can look outside of the given two stores if you don't say that up front?
Just because I have senior status doesn't mean I suddenly have the power to read minds through a computer. If I could do that, I can assure you, I would be employed by the FBI/CIA.

You rarely get help because the capacity in which you like because it is, IMO, asking an awful lot. I've already done two builds and recommended a few pieces for this one computer.
Take the high level advice (model number) and apply it to your locale like every other person does... Or use it to find a similar piece of hardware.

Also, "I refuse to buy a Dell" as a blanket statement is just poor situational judgment. This is literally the perfect fit for OEM.
Believe it or not, they work very well. Especially for the average user. I can't tell you how many decade-old Dell machines I've seen, but the number is staggering.
Just because you don't like OEM doesn't mean they don't have their place.

First, I'm from halfway across the continent. How do I know what stores are/aren't in your area?

Second, why is it our responsibility to CHECK STOCK FOR YOU?! Take the given model number and check where it is.
I'm not your servant, and neither is anyone else here just because "you give a lot back to the community here".

Thirdly, how am I supposed to know we can look outside of the given two stores if you don't say that up front?
Just because I have senior status doesn't mean I suddenly have the power to read minds through a computer. If I could do that, I can assure you, I would be employed by the FBI/CIA.

You rarely get help because the capacity in which you like because it is, IMO, asking an awful lot. I've already done two builds and recommended a few pieces for this one computer.
Take the high level advice (model number) and apply it to your locale like every other person does... Or use it to find a similar piece of hardware.

Also, "I refuse to buy a Dell" as a blanket statement is just poor situational judgment. This is literally the perfect fit for OEM.
Believe it or not, they work very well. Especially for the average user. I can't tell you how many decade-old Dell machines I've seen, but the number is staggering.
Just because you don't like OEM doesn't mean they don't have their place.

Please go back and read my edited post. I checked Dell and it's going to cost more and give me less. It's not as cheap to buy Dell in Canada.

I don't think I'm asking for a lot. All I'm asking is, out of the H81 and B85 boards available at CC, which are the best 2 or 3 boards in terms of reliability? That's all I want to know. I'm having a hard time finding the information myself.

Please go back and read my edited post. I checked Dell and it's going to cost more and give me less. It's not as cheap to buy Dell in Canada.

I don't think I'm asking for a lot. All I'm asking is, out of the H81 and B85 boards available at CC, which are the best 2 or 3 boards in terms of reliability? That's all I want to know. I'm having a hard time finding the information myself.

It's like you didn't even read... or Google.

It's like you didn't even read... or Google.

I did google. No quality reviewers that I recognized had reviewed the boards I googled. I don't know if I can trust "Dmitri Vesporzek from Ukraine"'s review site. Know what I mean?
I spent a good hour last night trying to find reliable reviews of these boards at top review sites and came up pretty empty handed. All the reviewers I know and trust focus mainly on enthusiast segment parts.

Stop the H8. Collabor8.

All the effort you've spent talking smack to me in this thread could have been used constructively to try to answer my questions, assuming you already have the prerequisite knowledge in your head. I haven't asked anybody to google anything for me in this thread. I'm asking if anybody knows enough about these lower end chipsets and the boards that carry them to give me advice.

I did google. No quality reviewers that I recognized had reviewed the boards I googled. I don't know if I can trust "Dmitri Vesporzek from Ukraine"'s review site. Know what I mean?
I spent a good hour last night trying to find reliable reviews of these boards at top review sites and came up pretty empty handed. All the reviewers I know and trust focus mainly on enthusiast segment parts.

Stop the H8. Collabor8.

All the effort you've spent talking smack to me in this thread could have been used constructively to try to answer my questions, assuming you already have the prerequisite knowledge in your head. I haven't asked anybody to google anything for me in this thread. I'm asking if anybody knows enough about these lower end chipsets and the boards that carry them to give me advice.

30 seconds on Google. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4587/37-haswell-motherboard-group-test-28x-z87-6x-h87-and-3x-b85

I already told you my suggestion, which you shot down because "it has too many revisions and the audio is weak". Welcome to budget motherboards.

Book mark this link please TOCN... its the best you are going to run into as far as reliability. That said, the latest isn't out and not sure if you will run into the chipsets you want... but...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...013-Edition)?highlight=hardware+failure+rates

EDIT: Hey hey... found something new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-Hardware-of-2014-616/#Motherboard

Then take this line:
...motherboards have one of the highest overall failure rate of any core component with about 1 out of every 20 motherboards failing for one reason or another. This may seem like a high failure rate, but the silver lining is that nearly all of these failures we catch in-house before the system is shipped to the customer. In fact, motherboards as a whole only have a ~.9% failure rate (or less than one out of every 100) when you only look at post-shipping failures.
and remember it when you are thinking about 'the most reliable motherboard' and figure out if its REALLY worth it to search...some things are not worth splitting hairs over.

Last edited:
30 seconds on Google. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4587/37-haswell-motherboard-group-test-28x-z87-6x-h87-and-3x-b85

I already told you my suggestion, which you shot down because "it has too many revisions and the audio is weak". Welcome to budget motherboards.

Thanks for the link ATM but this doesn't help me. There are no mobo reviews here just rundowns of feature sets. I don't even think they built a system with these boards.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/458...up-test-28x-z87-6x-h87-and-3x-b85-asus-b85m-g

^Basically just a feature set overview. I can get that on Asus.com or newegg.com. I do genuinely appreciate your effort though. Hopefully now you can see the kind of problem I was running into trying to find reliable reviews of this stuff last night.

Yes, because benchmarks, energy consumption, and sound quality tests give ZERO information.........

OK, don't buy a Dell then. But, I strongly suggest you consider some sort of OEM machine. Asus is an option, not sure of pricing in your area though. Here they're in the $450 starting range, but they generally have a better feature set and less bloatware than Dell. HP or Gateway are options as well. Acer or eMachines too.

I've both owned and worked on OEM systems from every manufacturer I've listed, and outside of the standard things (mostly software related [viruses], a few physical damage situations due to neglect or accident), I've only had one hardware related failure, and it was a keyboard switch on a Gateway laptop.

As far as bloatware is concerned, that's easily fixed with a Windows reinstall that you can do with any media you choose, provided you have a valid key.

Really dude, as far as the general public is concerned, a computer is a computer is a computer. As long as it does what she needs it to do, OEM is going to be no different than custom built, specifically at this price point.

Yes, because benchmarks, energy consumption, and sound quality tests give ZERO information.........

I didn't notice those tests. Maybe I need to read the article more deeply. My bad.

I've now reviewed OEM systems available from Dell, Canada Computers, and Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) and I can not find any system that matches what I can build myself for roughly $380. At best, they come close, but they are using inferior components and do not include an SSD, which my build does. Final nail is in the OEM coffin.

Last edited:
I dont know as much as most of you but i will say, I bet granny wont care what Mobo she gets.

She'll care when something goes on it after 8 months. That's the whole point here. Will she care if the mobo has 6 power phases vs 3? No. Will she care if she gets a higher end NIC or audio codec? Likely not. But will she care if that NIC stops working after a few months? Absolutely. That's what I want to avoid.

The choice of motherboard is pretty much the most critical choice when building a PC and should not be taken lightly. When you take it lightly, bad things happen.

She'll care when something goes on it after 8 months. That's the whole point here. Will she care if the mobo has 6 power phases vs 3? No. Will she care if she gets a higher end NIC or audio codec? Likely not. But will she care if that NIC stops working after a few months? Absolutely. That's what I want to avoid.

The choice of motherboard is pretty much the most critical choice when building a PC and should not be taken lightly. When you take it lightly, bad things happen.

In fact, motherboards as a whole only have a ~.9% failure rate (or less than one out of every 100) when you only look at post-shipping failures.

Just pick one.

Build the Boson. LOL

That kid actually knows his stuff. Unlike Austin.

"Hiiiii guuuuuuys, this is Auuustiiiiin"

austin-evans-tech-vlogger-600x369.jpg

Back