• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for video editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iskatel

Hey all! I am trying to build a PC for videoedditing. I am using Adobe Premier and Lightroom.
After reading this forum I came up with the following configuration
Case: LC-Power 988W Blue Typhoon Gaming
CPU: I7-8700K
Cooling: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 Plus CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive & Seagate - IronWolf 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics: I have no idea
PSU:EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
My budget is around $1300
What do you think? Is it good or should I change something?

I think you should move to 32 gigs of ram.
I'm just a noob with blender and I'm already using over 16 gigs.
what gpu is planned?
will your rendering software render on a gpu?

Are you planning to overclock that 8700k CPU? If so, you should look at better cooling. If not, move down to a non Z motherboard and save some bucks. I might suggest a GTX 1060 video card for what you want to do.

I am not sure about overclocking, but I am I want to have an ability to do so.
What cooling would you recommend?

If you want to have the option of overclocking the CPU to it's practical limit we would recommend a 360 (3x120mm fans) radiator AIO water cooling system. However, I'm not at all sure that the case you have chosen is compatible with a 360 rad. I could not find any information on AIO water cooling compatibility for that case.

If you go with an aftermarket air cooler you will be limited by a max cooler height of 155mm. So maybe this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADZJ7RA2327 Would probably allow some mild overclocking.

It is not a problem for me to change the case. I am not sure about water cooling solutions... As I see it they are too pricy. Lets say I will have 165 mm for CPU cooler, will it make any difference?

Have you considered a Ryzen CPU? You could save $30 on newegg going with the Ryzen 7 2700X and you gain two cores and four logical threads for your encoding.

Premiere likes cuda cores so you should probably go with saome form of nVidia card.

You don't for sure have to have a 360 AIO ... Any AIO will do the job. Be it one fan design or 360 or 480 design OR a Noctua HSF or 212 Hyper. You say 360 like thats his only choice for proper cooling and OCing ya know. Anyhow :eek:

Also, it matters where your doing your worki, in open area like office or in a warm room. The colder the room or warmer the room will matter on liquid temp no matter what size rad you using be it single fan design or 480 RAD.

Personally I would recommend him a Noctua HSF, but trends should know better which model I keep forgetting. Put it on silent mode and do your thing. Also previous post the guy said get 32GB of RAM ,,, he is very correct. For what you want to do edit 2 hour videos etc 8GB will choke out fast,, 16gb will choke in time, you need 32GB to have a non thrasing and hitching and bottlenecking system. Keep system running smoothly. Also you need 2 SSD's One for OS and apps and music and pics and what not. Then a 1TB SSD for your video editing. As for video card a 970 Will do the job, the Pro Video Editing cards which are 4k to 10k are expensive because of the VRAM they have. The 10k one has 48GB of Video memory. That is why they cost so much. A good gaming card without those needs will do good with Premiere. My old man uses Premiere with a 1060GB we just got for him, and prior to that a 1GB 560 Ti card. He sees no difference. Good luck let us know.

Last edited:
Back