• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build help on triple GPU + CPU Watercooling set-up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_Z

Hey, I'd like some help on making my first watercooling build,

The curent system is as follows.

mobo: X79 Extreme11
Video card: 3x R9-290X Sapphire's
CPU: E5-2603 v2
Case: Chenbro RM42300-F2 4U Rackmount chassis

It's a 24/7 100% operating rig incase that's usefull info.

What I was thinking so far is

video cards:

Full cover
razor-r9-290x-290
or
Hawaii Radeon R9 290x

Running the water parallel through them because of the 3 cards.

CPU Block
EK-Supremacy - Acetal + Copper

Pump
Laing D5 (Swiftech MCP655)

On the tubes and fitting, I think that should wait untill I got the rest figured out? Same for the Radiators I think?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Last edited:
Tri-Fire R9's... gonna need lotsa radiator (and lotsa fittings)
Gonna need so much radiator that they wont fit in a "normal" case if you want to keep the noise down. You'll need "big" cases like the Phanteks Enthoo Primo, the Corsair D900, or a Caselabs TX-10 :D

I'ld propose an external solution, a MO-RA3 for example, that should save some money on the fittings :)

If you look at the KOOLANCE site, they have some rack solutions, you could shop with them, or do a similar build yourself

http://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liquid-cooling-system-copper

Case: Chenbro RM42300-F2 4U Rackmount chassis

Is the Case, it's 4U with plenty of room left in the bays, excuse me, a radiator case is also an option though. Do you reckon I could place the radiator(s) in the bays?

Do you have any comments or criticism on the parts? :)

Last edited:
That Chenbro RM42300-F2 will not fit the rads, you're looking at at least 2*120mm worth of rad per gpu or a Mo-Rad as Rollie suggested.

For a few more $100 you should go for E5 1650 v2 is much more powerful than the e5 2603 v2. I am seriously thinking about this setup myself. Its 4930K X2 :) and affordable to.

For a few more you should go for E5 1650 v2 is much more powerful than the e5 2603 v2. I am seriously thinking about this setup myself. Its 4930K X2 :) and affordable to.

The CPU Is not necessary, I might not even cool it because it's not going to be used.

Thanks for the other tips. I'm considering an external box with quick disconnects. Are there cases premade for just that or will I have to make one myself?

Thanks for the other tips. I'm considering an external box with quick disconnects. Are there cases premade for just that or will I have to make one myself?

You'll have to create one yourself as its not so hard as it seems. Just hope you've read and understand the basics and maintenance involved in a water cooling loop.

Something like this........

14aklf5.jpg

OR this......would be suitable for you.

maxresdefault.jpg

With this much heat surface, I would invite the CPU to the loop as well as you'll have a very quiet operation on full load, assuming you get premium quiet rad fans.

Alright cool, will keep you guys posted on the progress when I start on it. any preference of Razor over hawaii covers?

Also, I've been interested in these large radiator external loops. Can someone explain where the fans are receiving power from? I don't see wires running back to the pc.

Also, I've been interested in these large radiator external loops. Can someone explain where the fans are receiving power from? I don't see wires running back to the pc.

The fans in most clean cases are probably run by a fan hub is my guess and than connected from however many hubs you need to the sata power of the main PC's PSU.

For external rads, you have the choice of several options:

If you opt for fixed speed fans & pump.. you can just bolt everything to the radiator stand and use a dedicated "laptop" PSU like this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=product_info&cPath=22_1070&products_id=41460
If you want to voltage control the fans, you can still use a "laptop PSU" to do the same, but you bolt a fan controller to the radiator stand/case/housing also :)
If you want to PWM control the fans (and pump), you can still use a "laptop PSU" to do the same, but you need to run a two wire cable from a MB fan header towards the radiator stand/case/housing also ... you can hide the wire or just tiewrap it to a hose.

Voltage control from a MB Fan header is no longer an option... running 4x or 8x 180/200mm or 9x or 18x 120/140mm fan will most likely overwhelm your MB fan header. And of course it cannot be done without some intermediate fan-splitter cables/hub.
Even PWM hubs like the Swiftech 8-way might not work 100%

Now, Phanteks has Fan hub that takes PWM input & converts it to voltage control... this might be an option if get a handfull of (cheap) 3pin voltage fans

But there are ways to do it & make it work... no problem :)

Either way, for rads like the MO-RA & the (Super)NOVA... you need to consider if 4x (or 8x) 180/200mm FANs would work for you... sorting out the spiderweb of wires you get with 9x or 18x 120/140mm fans... is a bit of a challenge.... cutting and soldering is always an option :)

Oh and dont for one minute think that bolting 9 Corsair PWM SP120SP's will work... Reports indicate the SP120's dont play nice with the PWM signal, you cant have more a 3 SP120SP on ONE PWM signal

Back