• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90VetteDan

Registered
I need a good build that will achieve at least a 5.0ghz overclock on an i7 6700k. I already have a 980 Ti GPU and Windows 10 so I just need everything else. Thanks guys!

There's no way to guarantee that. The 6700Ks are typically topping at around 4.6GHz from what I've seen, but there's some that get into the 5GHz+ area. It's going to depend on what the CPU you end up with will do and how much money you're willing to put into cooling.

You are going to have to get a pretty binned chip (silicon lottery.com) and hope for the best or just roll the dice. 5 GHZ 24/7 isn't remotely common on those cpus.

You will also need a custom loops to help keep temps down when you find that cherry chip.

4.9ghz for example is a top 2% chip. That is also at a fairly high voltage of 1.44 (or less) AND it's delidded. Notice it's $780 price tag... ;)
https://siliconlottery.com/products/6700k49g

4.7ghz @ 1.40v is $335

Last edited:
You are going to have to get a pretty binned chip (silicon lottery.com) and hope for the best or just roll the dice. 5 GHZ 24/7 isn't remotely common on those cpus.

You will also need a custom loops to help keep temps down when you find that cherry chip.

4.9ghz for example is a top 2% chip. That is also at a fairly high voltage of 1.44 (or less) AND it's delidded. Notice it's $780 price tag... ;)
https://siliconlottery.com/products/6700k49g

4.7ghz @ 1.40v is $335

Interesting... Thanks for the information. I suppose I'll just go with a PcPartPicker build. Do you mind putting one together for me?

I'd like a 6700k CPU with a good cooler and Motherboard that will allow 4.6 easily. 32 GB DDR4 RAM would be nice with a sufficient power supply, SSD and case.

I really appreciate your help!

I don't pcppicker, sorry.

You may also be hard pressed to reach 4.6ghz on air.

That said...

Grab 6700k from siliconlottery if you want a sure thing at a given voltage.
I'd grab asrock z170 extreme 6. Giga z170 gaming 5, msi z170 m5, Asus a-pro in no particular order. Really, your motherboard won't hold you back.
I'd grab a swiftech or EK 2x120mm kit to keep the cpu cool.
Ram I'd go 2x16gb ddr4 3200 cl15 or lower. Gskill is solid, but ram is ram really.
Psu for a single 1080 and 6700k I'd look at evga 650w.
Ssd.. grab samsung 850 evo or 850 pro.
Case is a personal choice.

I don't pcppicker, sorry.

You may also be hard pressed to reach 4.6ghz on air.

That said...

Grab 6700k from siliconlottery if you want a sure thing at a given voltage.
I'd grab asrock z170 extreme 6. Giga z170 gaming 5, msi z170 m5, Asus a-pro in no particular order. Really, your motherboard won't hold you back.
I'd grab a swiftech or EK 2x120mm kit to keep the cpu cool.
Ram I'd go 2x16gb ddr4 3200 cl15 or lower. Gskill is solid, but ram is ram really.
Psu for a single 1080 and 6700k I'd look at evga 650w.
Ssd.. grab samsung 850 evo or 850 pro.
Case is a personal choice.

Since he wants to OC, wouldn't G.skill be the best choise from all the other kits out there AT THE MOMENT?

Is he overclocking the ram? I wouldn't bother unless I was going to benchmark competatively.

Back