• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

build idea need to know if there is a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VooDooShot

Registered
need help with a build .
it may not be worth it .
using my old comp in my sig ( still need to update )
want to use the opty 165 and the ram ( will add more if poss)
yes it is a 939 socket so dont know if there is a mobo that will be updated for it.

will use it to run skype ( leav on 24/7 ) and to hook up to my 62" for bluray.
so i need new mobo ( if they make one ) low pro case, new power , bluray player , and an hd vid card , also new hdd

as i said may not be worth it just got the cpu laying round. so want some none gaming use for it .

has windows 7 on it now seems ok.
Use it to play WoW when friends come over.
get reall good frame rates with the 8800gt on it now close to 80 in instances like 65ish in org at peek times.

the 8800gt is a big card so dont think it will work in a small case and it doesnt have a hdmi slot.

if it cant be done ill just do a budget bluray build if anyone has a cheap build in mind.
im tired of the phone ringing on skype ( running it on my gaming rig )
just thought would be kewl to build a pc for skype and bluray is all

Don't know about the Blu-Ray part - I have no idea what resources are needed for that - but it should be fine for Skype. Until recently I ran Skype with DDO on my Opty 180 system and 7900 GTX without problems. If you can find them the A8N32 boards are excellent boards and are sometimes available on eBay. I can't think of any recent s939 boards being made, though. I've still got several A8N32's in service even after four years of 24/7 crunching. Just be sure to get at least a 30 day return option so you don't get a clunker from someone who's abused one for four years. ;)

As far as building new you can get a cheap AMD board and Athlon II X3 processor for ~$120 (maybe less) plus another $40 for 2x2 Gb of RAM.

Bluray playback will be highly iffy even with an aftermarket card.
Could you explain what it is about Blu-Ray that takes such high-powered computing? What is a minimum system requirement if a dual-core Opty isn't enough? I ask because I am also considering BluRay in the next year or so and expected to use an old s939 as an HTPC.

Back