• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] Project: inFEKshun

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you update your bios to the newest version? There is a heck lot of problems with the memory slot on the ax370 motherboards (least for the vi hero and aorus k5 gaming) if the memory isn't on the QVL for the board.
Yes. I updated it to 5803 Beta via USB Flashback (which seemed to work as the light blinked for a few minutes) and then hit the BIOS Reset button before trying to actually boot the system up.

Of course I haven't seen any images showing the backside of the AM4 socket yet. But there are lots of surface mount capacitors and stuff on the backside of AM3+ motherboards. And there always was a square cutout in the backing plate to clear those components. I would think there is likely the same junk on the AM4 socket. Probably not a good idea to lay a possibly conductive piece of rubber across them. I would do as that other fellow and remove the cutout in the rubber gasket. Follow general troubleshooting advice, minimal accessories, 1 stick of RAM, single graphics card. There is the black USB port on the motherboard for the EasyFlash feature. I would do that first. Put the latest beta BIOS on the flash stick and power the system up with the update. That is supposed to install the new BIOS without any other thing attached. Don't even have to have the graphics card installed supposedly.

There is the black USB port on the motherboard for the EasyFlash feature. I would do that first. Put the latest beta BIOS on the flash stick and power the system up with the update. That is supposed to install the new BIOS without any other thing attached. Don't even have to have the graphics card installed supposedly.
Read the post before yours -- I already did that. I used the newest Beta BIOS as of now (5803). It seemed to work but I cannot confirm as the system does nothing at all when I try to boot it up. Fans don't spin, pump doesn't pump, no beeps, no POST codes. The RGB LEDs cycle colors and the CPU LED is green, but that's it.

And I've already done the "minimum system" thing with no success. I'm going to unmount the block and backplate and remove the center of the rubber insulator tomorrow. EKWB states specifically in their instructions to keep that center piece in for AMD socket installs, but I'm going to take it out anyway.

What a pain...

I've already requested a return of my pre-ordered crosshair vi hero on ebay (hopefully they reply to me quick) which hasn't been dispatched yet, at this point the software side of things aren't looking good, people with the same board having all sorts of issues here and there even with the same bios. One of the online part shops I always go to has delayed the ETA time for a few mobos (including the vi hero) till next Friday, I'm starting to think that these suppliers have discovered issues and are likely taking the products back for adjustments. Things would likely go better in a few weeks with bios/windows updates though.

p.s gigabyte boards suffer similar stuff, even more so than asus ones, Msi could be a better bet right now

I'm going to unmount the block and backplate and remove the center of the rubber insulator tomorrow. EKWB states specifically in their instructions to keep that center piece in for AMD socket installs, but I'm going to take it out anyway.
Unmounted everything, removed the center portion of the rubber insulator, and re-mounted everything. Attempted boot with minimum hardware. SUCCESS! I didn't have a monitor attached, but it at least booted up and went through the POST codes and the status LEDs on the board.

Somebody needs to get the word out to punch out the center portion of the rubber insulator for EK block installs on AM4. It's preventing boot for some, and causing errors during boot for others.

Now I have the awesome job of re-wiring the rest of the system! Whee!

Sorry I missed the previous post you referred. Glad the removal of the center portion of the rubber insulator gets the system to post. Progress is always good! Best of luck.

on the p5, where you have the hdd mounted is where an ssd mounts, the hdd can go in the back of the case.
My p5 is now wall mounted with the fans reversed of yours.
very nice build by the way.

on the p5, where you have the hdd mounted is where an ssd mounts, the hdd can go in the back of the case.
Can mount either SSD or HDD in the front. My SSD is an M.2 on the mainboard. I removed the hard drive rack mount inside the case for extra cable management room.

Looks like I won't be getting rid of RED Glare for (possibly) a while yet.

There was an unbelievable high today after I reconnected everything and the beast booted and I was able to get into the BIOS. That high was lowered in steps as I found I wasn't able to get my RAM to go above the 2133 default at all no matter the timings and/or voltages I tried. Decided to try installing Win10 at the default settings. Got through it okay, then tried copying the installers for the drivers and initial programs I wanted to install from a USB drive onto the 4TB data drive. Froze up about a minute into that copy operation. Rebooted fine, then decided to try to install all the Windows updates waiting. Got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD a couple of minutes into that. Rebooted again. Froze up again just idling in Windows. Shut it down, took a break. Came back and it now gets an "8" POST code immediately upon power-on. Even tried it without any RAM and it still gives the "8" code.

Could be a bad CPU or board. Probably going to head to MicroCenter tomorrow to do an exchange. They still have plenty of Ryzen CPUs in stock. I checked the board situation, and it looks like they have a single MSI X370 Titanium and a whole bunch of ASUS X370 Prime boards in stock. No Crosshairs of course. Might have to switch boards. We'll see.

If you can, try and test replacements with out the H20 gear on it. I learned the hard way the first time and after that point on, I always test the gear on air with spare parts before assembling the loop.

Replaced my 1800X with a 1700 yesterday to save myself some money since they all overclock to the same level (in general). Booted fine (no "8" code) but it came up with a RAM code and only recognized 8GB in the BIOS. Tested the sticks individually and one causes the boot process to stop completely. It appears I have a bad stick or one the CPU doesn't like. Used the RAM out of RED Glare and it booted fine, recognizing the full 16GB (shows a 24 code even after fully booting though). Got it to boot with 2666 RAM speed but wouldn't go higher. Disabled SMT. It shows the CPU as a four-core in the Advanced section of the BIOS (don't know if this is normal or not).

Installing Windows was a chore as it kept getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT errors or just hard locking. Kept increasing the CPU voltage as I saw forum posts that it seemed to help. Eventually I was able to get Windows installed and fully updated. Also got the drivers installed.

I noticed that there are more pauses in Windows than I'm used to. Wasn't able to test much as it was 3am at this point and my bed was calling. Will see what happens after work today.

Update: Finally got everything to cooperate and was working smoothly. Then I did something stupid -- tried to increase the RAM speed. Saved and exited, and it then started the "updating BIOS" loop. This was very late last night so I just did a BIOS flashback and shut it down. We'll see whether it's bricked or not after work tonight. If it is, I'm going to run to MicroCenter and pick up an ASUS PRIME Pro board instead.

Also RMA'd my RAM kit and ordered a G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR kit since the Samsung B-die kits are working better.

Got the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR kit yesterday and was able to immediately get the memory clocked at 2933MHz 16-16-16-16-36 on the 5803 BIOS. Ran a two-hour RealBench stress test while I went to see the new Kong movie and it passed. Started a RealBench stress test this morning to run for eight hours while I'm at work.

Will be installing the new 0902 BIOS once I get home. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that RAM speed or maybe even go higher.

Got the G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR kit yesterday and was able to immediately get the memory clocked at 2933MHz 16-16-16-16-36 on the 5803 BIOS. Ran a two-hour RealBench stress test while I went to see the new Kong movie and it passed. Started a RealBench stress test this morning to run for eight hours while I'm at work.

Will be installing the new 0902 BIOS once I get home. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that RAM speed or maybe even go higher.

From reports on the 0902 BIOS ... unlikely. That BIOS shoves everybody onto 2T Command Rate it seems with no way to revert to 1T.

From reports on the 0902 BIOS ... unlikely. That BIOS shoves everybody onto 2T Command Rate it seems with no way to revert to 1T.
I'm okay with the 2T Command Rate. Not like it makes noticeable difference in everyday performance. Plus, the looser timing should allow higher memory speeds.

I'm currently at the same CPU overclock and RAM speeds as I was with the 5803 BIOS. Time to see if I can get it to boot with faster RAM speed than 2933...

Finally chose a name for this project: inFEKshun

Forgot that I hadn't put up any pictures of the almost completed build. Only missing some UV LEDs and I might be able to pick some up from MicroCenter this week.
20170312_224130.jpg
20170312_224221.jpg
20170312_224344.jpg
20170312_224405.jpg
20170312_224553.jpg
20170312_224628.jpg
20170312_224723.jpg

Just have to say I'm impressed with Project inFekshun. A very different vision of what a computer can be. I find the case platform very interesting which forced me to reevaluate my normal computer expectations.

Back