• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

build me the best professional workstation 1.2-1.7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

racpuc

Price Range: 1.2-1.7K (after shipping and Taxes. In Cali so newegg might not be a good thing because of the tax)
no monitor neeed
no overclocking
not just for rendering and will mostly spend time making the model then rendering

requirements:
cpu and hsf (Two cpu preffered but can go 1)
case and psu case (prefer front usb and firewire)
mb
video (prefer a pro card: ie quadrofx)
mem (prefer 1gb)
hd (prefer 80gb)
250 zip drive
cd/dvd drive and cd/dvd burner
floppy drive

Primary Programs used
-autocad
-3d max
-maya
-form z

Secondary Programs used
-adobe pagemaker
-adobe illustrator
-adobe photoshop
-adobe image ready
-adobe premier
-adobe acrobat
-adobe acrobat distiller
-word
-excel
-powerpoint
-internet explorer
-dreamweaver
-quicktime player
-whin zip
-power dvd
-real player
an antivirus / firewall program

Last edited:
The software you list.. you already have all of that or you need all of that? If you need it, your going to be spending more then 2k on software alone :p.

PCGUY112887 said:
The software you list.. you already have all of that or you need all of that? If you need it, your going to be spending more then 2k on software alone :p.

more like 10k for the software, but I'm just asking hardware wise

Probably want to go with Dual Xeons, at least 1 Gb of ram. A 36 Gb WD Raptor might be a good choice for your system drive, then use a 80 Gb 7200 RPM drive for data. This won't run you to much, and you'll have plenty left over for a good graphics card which you'll need for the programs your running. I know you said no monitor needed but you might benifit greatly from a dual monitor setup if you don't already have one. Quality 19" CRTs go for around $150 - $200.

some of you might not realize how much dual 2.8 xeons 800 fsb cost.

Heres the cheapeast
http://next.night.net/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=22&Product_ID=1184993&CATID=2

Thats already 885 + 5 (shipping) = 890
2X512 GB of ecc ram pc3200 = 228 found below
http://www.pcprogress.com/product.asp?m1=pw&pid=KVR400X72C3A/512

A quadrofx 1100 cost about 600 (before shipping and taxes)
http://www.atacom.com/program/ataco...SEARCH_ALL&ordered_number=&KEYWORDS=quadro+fx

So thats at least 1778 for just cpu/hsf/mb/ram/video

So dual xeons is probably out of the budget

Captain Newbie said:
AthlonMPs, then. They're cheaper. And you could grab a pair of high-range XPs and close the L5.
already have dual xps. Looking for something faster. Cant do overclocking because its not going to be my computer

Last edited:
PCGUY112887 said:
if you can streatch the bank a littke more the dual xeon's would be nice.

What about quad XP's? :)

thats the clients price range

Captain Newbie said:
Not possible. Sorry--dual processor SMP only on the Socket 462 platform. :(

Dual Opteron 240s, maybe? (Still probably NOT CHEAP ENOUGH, but worth investigating)

I was thinking about that. I am discovering however that the primary programs only utilize 1 cpu (work split betweent the two cpus) when actually doing modeling but when rendering it will use both the cpu fully. Currently leaning towards a p4c 3.4 (see not totally an amd fan) with a good pro card

Back