• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Selection Suggestions Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zhut

Greetings everyone,

I am looking to build a new PC in a few months (early 2009) and I am just putting together a wish list as to what I would like to build. I play EQ 1 mainly (not graphic intensive) surf the Internet, music, general usage for the most part. I do also enjoy overclocking, the ritual of it and the testing process of overclocking. I am thinking of going Intel and I would like to keep things under 1300-ish max (closer to 1k max the better though) I have a Hanns-G 19inch widescreen I will use from my current PC. (and break out my big old CRT for my current PC). I have been spending time researching, reading reviews and pricing parts. Please let me know if any of you pros have some ideas, suggestions, etc. Thank you in advance. I am also hoping some of these parts I selected will get cheaper as time passes. Part of me thinks I should snag some of the parts if the price feels real good. (like the CM690 case for 39.99 after rebate to save money, stick it in the closet for a few months, etc.) Here we go:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

GPU: ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE/HTDP/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (this is prob overkill I run great on a 6600 currently)

RAM: Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (8gig)

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ( I have 50 gig left on my current 80gig HD)

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler (with mounting bracket for 6 dollars)

Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound

Power source: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 (may also be overkill, I am uncertain on going with modular power source or not modular)

LG 22x dvd burner Sata

Vista 64 bit for the 8 gig ram handling.

All in a Cooler Master 690 case, I am looking for a more reserved look for my case with good cooling potential. I also do not want to spend a lot on my case to be able to allocate more funds to the innards, but I want a good case for the dollar spent. I though of Antec 900 and I like the looks and what cm690 has to offer, more. I understand both to good from what I have read. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? I am shooting for 4.0 or higher OC on the cpu.

can't really help you much until the time is closer. Intel MIGHT have their nehalem out. AMD MIGHT have their deneb out. Prices WILL fluctuate. Therefore, the best price performance parts will change. Therefore, it is quite useless to really put together a build.

That being said, i don't think their is much of a point forking out the extra money for a E8600 over a E8500 (just guarantee an E0 and you are set.)

Thank you White_pawn for your response. I do understand what you mean and I do find it fun to watch the prices as weeks pass. Makes sense, about getting an E8400 or E8500 if I can be assure they are E0. That alone would shave a nice 100 dollars or so off, as of today. I may go to a microcenter and check out their boxes for the EO when the time comes, if it will save that kind of money and I will be able to reach the 4.0-ish range with them, as I have read. Part of me is afraid to miss out on purchasing a "gem" component for a good price that will no longer be available. I guess everything gets better that is coming out in the future/near future with the newer gear being release. I will just keep watching prices and researching until my purchase time arrives.

+1 on Biostar I45. New rig looks good. Yes, go with E8500 a lot cheaper and it will get you over 4.0ghz OC. You could go with less memory 4gb instead of 8gb and even up it to 1066 memory instead of 1000 for better OC. Keep and eye on GPU prices they are failing almost daily on Nvidia products except for newer 2xx series. NE had Vista64 for $99 today.

Thank you for your input Alien432. I really like what I have read about the Biostar I45 and for the price it seems to be a great deal. I will keep watching prices. I was torn between the asus maximus 2 motherboard or the Biostar. I am not sure the maximus is worth the extra 100+ dollars, however. My first build mb (in my sig) was not a very strong board so I have learned the importance of a good motherboard to a build. Still new but trying to learn. E8500 E0 if I can get would be nice with the slightly higher multi over the E8400 for nearly the same cost. From what I have read 8400/8500/8600, no matter the step, will surely kick the butt of my current rig. Im used to 39 second 1M super pi. Turtle Power!

As others have stated it would be better until build time to get most of your components. But some of them you can feel free to pick up if you find a good deal. For instance that CM690 for $40AR, go ahead and buy it as that is a good deal. Same thing with PSU's, find a deal go ahead as the prices are pretty steady. Memory is about as cheap as it will get so if you you can go ahead there as well. Speaking of which I would highly suggest the 2x2GB G.Skill PC8000(1000Mhz) kit at newgg for $68. I have to diagree with Alien, the 33Mhz isn't worth the big price difference.

By the time you build CPU'sGPU's/Motherboards will all likely be cheaper.

Great points ou_phidelt. I thought the case was real nice for 39.99 after rebate and would not get too much cheaper. I thought about those gskills as well, it was a toss up between them and the mushkin redlines, I would like a 1000mhz kit. Corsair ps seems to be a good way to go so I am going to stick with a corsair. If I can find a few parts here and there for great deals I can stash them away while waiting on cpu/gpu prices to lower. An early start on those rebates also would not hurt. Perhaps try a little case modding since I will not have the components inside it, and hey, if I mess something up the case was 39.99, could have been worse. Thank you for your suggestions. ;)

Back