• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build up on Tubes only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
damit.. this stuff was suppose to be plasticizer free.... if this was algae it would be in the reservoir to right ?

Last edited:
Another question, if it is plasticizer, if cleaned I am assuming it will come back correct ?

Another question, if it is plasticizer, if cleaned I am assuming it will come back correct ?

Well.. eventually you'll run out of plasticiser and it will stop clouding over :)

This clouding, you 100% sure its inside? This loop been exposed to (direct)sunlight or (cheap) UV CFLs?

Anyways, while it looks ugly, as long as there is nothing gunking up your blocks/pump, there is no real issue.

If you really can't stand how it looks, replace all tubing
... or wrap them up with some (pink) ribbon you nicked from your little sister or something like that :)

Some debate on clouding: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708214

Its inside, the loop has not been exposed to direct sunlight and I don't have any lights

Well, if its plasticiser , you'll find proof in your block(s).

If not, then its just bad luck.. some minor contaminant causing the reaction... it happens. May be avoidable by assembling loop in a sterilised clean room while wearing a space suit :)

But you'll only know if its spread or only tubes if you break down the loop, so... If you dismantle, might just as well replace the tubing.

Sure it's distilled water, and not "de mineralzed"?
I've had like results using anything other than the steam distilled water.

Sure it's distilled water, and not "de mineralzed"?
I've had like results using anything other than the steam distilled water.

I am 99% sure its distilled but I will check when I get home

But this build up baffles me because its only on the tubes not the fliwbmeter or in the res

Those are different plastics with a less porous surfaces, whatever it is will get to them eventually.

BTW, how well did you clean out the radiator prior to installation? Flux and stamping coolants could be culprits.
I'm a firm believer in the "Rad Dance" (searchable term on OCF)...fill with hot soapy water and shake it like a madman. Rinse, refill with hot clean water, repeat (3X).

Those are different plastics with a less porous surfaces, whatever it is will get to them eventually.

BTW, how well did you clean out the radiator prior to installation? Flux and stamping coolants could be culprits.
I'm a firm believer in the "Rad Dance" (searchable term on OCF)...fill with hot soapy water and shake it like a madman. Rinse, refill with hot clean water, repeat (3X).

it is distilled water, says " Processed by Steam Distillation" and I did clean it out with distilled water, I put some in shook it and repeated a few times.. no soap, not a lot of particles came out from what I remember.

Well it's good you did clean the rad out well, surprising how many don't.
I guess you could drain it and clean the offending tubes with a small bottle brush hoping that it's a fluke (being plasticizer free tubing, it may not return).
Personally I got tired of futzing with all the brands and claims on the web, and armed my system with jet black Norprene tubing, so there's no such dilemmas for me. It's nice being so non-pourous, I haven't had to add water in two years, and it's still clear in the view port of my flow meter...steam distiller water and a silver coil only.

I did my rad dance on a new 480mm rad few months ago and after the 12th time it still showed up debris. 15th/16th time is when it was visibly clean. After a 5+ months now my flow meter shows 0 GPM, to be precise it was gradually slowing down till it hit 0. I did take it apart to check the flow meter if it ceased but found it still able to spin with a little air blown to it. I just drained and refilled the loop to get the same result. I need to disassemble the loop when I have time since it will take a few days to find the culprit. Me thinks my channels are clogged up with debris.

Anyhow, your tubing to me looks like its plasticize. Problem with that is you can also get it in your blocks and it will block up the channels. I would also advise by taking apart the blocks, cleaning them if need to be and replacing the tubing with some PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

couple of others have seen clouding/plasticizer using tygon e1000 as well. Tygon e1000 has plasticizer, just it is non-dehp plasticizer. (dehp causes worst issues).
http://www.overclock.net/t/1199158/plasticizer-problems-discussion-gallery/2540#post_19727199 (post 2548 is one that had same issue)

Soft and flexible, new Tygon® E-1000 Non-DEHP Laboratory Tubing delivers the same superior performance you have come to expect from Tygon® tubing but now in a formulation that contains non-DEHP [Bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate] plasticizers.

primochill advanced lrt was spec'd to avoid plasticizer leach when watercooling, I would stick with it.

I did my rad dance on a new 480mm rad few months ago and after the 12th time it still showed up debris. 15th/16th time is when it was visibly clean. After a 5+ months now my flow meter shows 0 GPM, to be precise it was gradually slowing down till it hit 0. I did take it apart to check the flow meter if it ceased but found it still able to spin with a little air blown to it. I just drained and refilled the loop to get the same result. I need to disassemble the loop when I have time since it will take a few days to find the culprit. Me thinks my channels are clogged up with debris.

Anyhow, your tubing to me looks like its plasticize. Problem with that is you can also get it in your blocks and it will block up the channels. I would also advise by taking apart the blocks, cleaning them if need to be and replacing the tubing with some PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

I usually do a hot & soapy rad dance just once. I found a dishwasher fitting for the sink faucet that just fits a piece of 1/2" tubing pushed inside of it, so I run a ton of hot water through it in both directions to flush it clear in both directions.
Since the tube just press fits, and the other barb is left open, there's zero chance of my water system blowing out the radiator with too much pressure.
A good rinse with distilled water and I'm done.
Good tip on the block clean out, sorry I left that out...

@RGE: good to know! I never looked up his tubing cause he said it was plasticizer free....probably what the e-tailer said...:bang head

Last edited:

my flow meter is spinning fine, so I don't have any clogs yet...

so I remove 2 sections of tubing and cleaned them out with a paper towel, one tube left a brown substance, the other tube left a green substance. I inspected the water that was remove, very few ( maby 4 in a drinking cup )particles floating around, water didn't have any discernible smell.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Green usually means growth unless you can also get that with plasticize. Nonetheless, I would still check the blocks now.

strange thing GTXJackBauer, one of the tubes was the inlet side of a GPU block, the other was the outlet. So the only thing between those tubes was the GPU block

Back