• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Build Your Own Phase Change PC Cooling System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
This is an older article that I found on a whim. Looks awesome at a glance, and still quite relavent even if the evaps have come a pretty long way since then.

This article describes the construction and operation of a single stage vapor phase refrigeration system for the cooling of micro processors found in modern home computers.

... Return to article to continue reading.

(Note this is not a 'Comments' thread like normal frontpage-linked threads. This is me drudging up an old post and making a current forum post to match. So while we may use this for questions/discussion, the posts won't actually appear on the front page. :salute: )

Only thing keeping me from trying this is room lol, looks like it takes up alot of it. Other than that i have all the materials (i live in the 9th circle of ac and fridge hell), i assume i can just get the condenser and compressor from a old window unit (after i use a freon sniffer to test for leaks, btw I would recommend one to test to see if you have a leak where you braized, especially with r22 and r410a.).

This is an extremely useful guide, Been looking for something like this.

However Please note that due to the original age of this guide.The listed CPU wattage loads and GPU wattage loads are off by a lot.

When it comes to filling phase change systems it doesn't hurt to buddy up to a refrigeration technition. They can fill balance and adjust a system for you in a very short period of time. Not to mention it can be alot cheaper than having purchase vacume pumps yourself. Or even have to purchase a larger volume than needed of refrigerant. I have also found the good ones know and can do all the really good high performance mixtures that might be hard to do on your own.

Back