• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LostWind

Hey guys and gals, i am new here and i am hoping my stay will be an overall pleasant experience. I look forward to learning and sharing information with this community. I have been a member of a similar forum but unfortunately questions never got truly answered. I have a pretty old machine and im gonna throw the stats on here, i am looking to make some upgrades so i can run SCII and DIII (when it comes out on the 15th :D) Please make suggestions and throw out ideas. I am a comp sci student mainly doing a lot of programming and not much playing around for hardware, i look to your expertise...

Here is the granny i got that needs a refresh. full report. tell me what you think

Operating System new – server roles System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 4/20/2012 10:07:48 PM Sony Corporation PCV-RS320(UC) 28001430
System Serial Number: 3021201
Asset Tag: P057000000009B943AE2E31DEC00
Chassis Serial Number: R3627466
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total) Board: ASUSTek Computer Inc. P4SD-VX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1006 06/26/2003
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
Seagate FreeAgent Go, s/n 5LZ1X9JY, rev 100F 4/23/2012 8:57:40 PM*

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time. None discovered
Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d
120.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
111.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140C [Optical drive]
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5002 [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3120022A [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3JT0SGHZ, rev 3.04, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 256 MB
Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 120.02 GB 111.60 GB free

Network Drives
None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Owner 4/24/2012 10:34:59 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never

HelpAssistant never

SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 [Display adapter]
ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n BI19HCHYA02780, October 2005)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Group Policies
No details available None discovered

Other Devices
NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (4x)

trying to keep a low budget, i am a college kid after all :-(

Welcome! :) I hope your experience here is a bit more pleasant than your previous one!

As far as your system goes... I am going to be very blunt. Nothing against a P4 but I think you are due for a upgrade! Answer a few questions and I am sure that we can point you on the right track.

1.) What kind of money are you looking to spend? Are we talking cheapest possible new build, or are you going to attempt to upgrade? (i would advise against a upgrade path with your current setup.. just my two cents!)

2.) Diablo III and SC2 your only requirements? Or do you do any other gaming/video/photo editing?

3.) Are you attached to WindowsXP? (Diablo3 isn't going to look great on DX9..)

Welcome! :) I hope your experience here is a bit more pleasant than your previous one!

As far as your system goes... I am going to be very blunt. Nothing against a P4 but I think you are due for a upgrade! Answer a few questions and I am sure that we can point you on the right track.

1.) What kind of money are you looking to spend? Are we talking cheapest possible new build, or are you going to attempt to upgrade? (i would advise against a upgrade path with your current setup.. just my two cents!)

2.) Diablo III and SC2 your only requirements? Or do you do any other gaming/video/photo editing?

3.) Are you attached to WindowsXP? (Diablo3 isn't going to look great on DX9..)

Well im looking for a cheap build. I dont really have a lot of money to spend on this but definitely need to do something with performance improving. way overdue haha I dont think its possible to find a new desktop with less than 2 GB of ram

As far as gaming i think if Diablo III will run i will be all around happy. Maybe some Amnesia ;-) I would like to use a multiport graphics card though and run dual monitors, (which is what im doing right now) Preferably not on the lowest possible setting though, i would like to experience some pleasure in looking at the game haha.

Not to worry, I completely understand where you are coming from! My previous build was on a LOW budget in college as well. (worked 30 hours a week to eat!) :eek:

Check out http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-budget-gaming-pc/ for EXCELLENT budget builds. If money is the only concern you can go with the 0.75 build. If you want to futureproof of course you can mix/match parts to do what you want them to do... spend more on the processor or w/e.

Since you mentioned low rez I would probably suggest the teir 1 build. But let me say, if your REALLY on a budget you may want to go AMD. Yes, they will cost you a bit in performance.. but if you grab a cheap am3+ Mobo then you can always stick a new processor in down the road for a upgrade. (quad core Phenom II is only 90 bucks on amazon and will give you ALOT more performance for $$ over a dual core pentium)

Definitely recommend upgrading to Win7. You won't like DB3 without dx11. Trust me. If I were you I would look into the school's software program. alot of times you can get windows for cheap if not free. (CS and IT students usually get access to free windows installs, othewise you can get a discount if you buy it on campus)

If you can't spend the whole $500 dollar chunk at once, I would suggest you start with everything but the Graphics card. You can get them for about $325, and then spend the $115 on a good mid tier graphics card to get you where you want to be. I will need specific dollar spending amounts if you want best per price comparisons though. :p

If you want to discuss further let me know, I would be more than happy helping you customize to budget/needs but am going to need a bit more info first! I am not the best, but I do this for a living so I have a bit of insight at the very least. :)

Not to worry, I completely understand where you are coming from! My previous build was on a LOW budget in college as well. (worked 30 hours a week to eat!) :eek:

Check out http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-budget-gaming-pc/ for EXCELLENT budget builds. If money is the only concern you can go with the 0.75 build. If you want to futureproof of course you can mix/match parts to do what you want them to do... spend more on the processor or w/e.

Since you mentioned low rez I would probably suggest the teir 1 build. But let me say, if your REALLY on a budget you may want to go AMD. Yes, they will cost you a bit in performance.. but if you grab a cheap am3+ Mobo then you can always stick a new processor in down the road for a upgrade. (quad core Phenom II is only 90 bucks on amazon and will give you ALOT more performance for $$ over a dual core pentium)

Definitely recommend upgrading to Win7. You won't like DB3 without dx11. Trust me. If I were you I would look into the school's software program. alot of times you can get windows for cheap if not free. (CS and IT students usually get access to free windows installs, othewise you can get a discount if you buy it on campus)

If you can't spend the whole $500 dollar chunk at once, I would suggest you start with everything but the Graphics card. You can get them for about $325, and then spend the $115 on a good mid tier graphics card to get you where you want to be. I will need specific dollar spending amounts if you want best per price comparisons though. :p

If you want to discuss further let me know, I would be more than happy helping you customize to budget/needs but am going to need a bit more info first! I am not the best, but I do this for a living so I have a bit of insight at the very least. :)

Yea im working my *** off to keep high grades and working to live. but hey thats what college is about. Makes you appreciate upcoming future that much better. I have been saving and my budget for this is set at exactly $500. can't go higher than that. I can do half this month and half next month. Not sure about the OS from school, will have to double check about that. With upgrading to Windows 7, do all the files get erased or they get automatically get pushed onto the new OS?

Yea im working my *** off to keep high grades and working to live. but hey thats what college is about. Makes you appreciate upcoming future that much better. I have been saving and my budget for this is set at exactly $500. can't go higher than that. I can do half this month and half next month. Not sure about the OS from school, will have to double check about that. With upgrading to Windows 7, do all the files get erased or they get automatically get pushed onto the new OS?

Sounds like your doing college right! :)

The files thing will depend on how you decide to install. Your current harddrive is a IDE harddrive which will not plug to your new setup. This means when you install win7 you won't have your files (at least initially!) You can either buy a IDE to sata connector or (my preferred method) get a IDE external hard drive case. That way you can transfer over the files you need from your old harddrive via usb and get rid of all the useless things. Plus most of the programs you used in WinXP won't work in 7 anyways.

If your going the external method take a look at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182154
It will give you the ability to transfer all the old information you want (pics, docs, videos and music..) and then when you get what you need you can reformat it to make it a backup drive for your new build! Money saver and useful! :)

$500 bucks seem perfect. I would go with the teir .625 or .75 build on the Hardware Revolution site and then it will leave you enough money to get your Win7 copy. Monitor wise... If you happy with your current monitors them keep them. Just make sure you can plug them in via their current cables to your new graphics card. (I would assume they are VGA... Proly need a converter)

Edit: On a side note I would buy it all from newegg. Amazon prices tend to change a lot and generally newegg will be cheaper overall. Plus the shipping is free with Shoprunner free trial. (no obligation either, so it would be worth the signup/cancel hassle!)

Last edited:
Sounds like your doing college right! :)

The files thing will depend on how you decide to install. Your current harddrive is a IDE harddrive which will not plug to your new setup. This means when you install win7 you won't have your files (at least initially!) You can either buy a IDE to sata connector or (my preferred method) get a IDE external hard drive case. That way you can transfer over the files you need from your old harddrive via usb and get rid of all the useless things. Plus most of the programs you used in WinXP won't work in 7 anyways.

If your going the external method take a look at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182154
It will give you the ability to transfer all the old information you want (pics, docs, videos and music..) and then when you get what you need you can reformat it to make it a backup drive for your new build! Money saver and useful! :)

$500 bucks seem perfect. I would go with the teir .625 or .75 build on the Hardware Revolution site and then it will leave you enough money to get your Win7 copy. Monitor wise... If you happy with your current monitors them keep them. Just make sure you can plug them in via their current cables to your new graphics card. (I would assume they are VGA... Proly need a converter)

Edit: On a side note I would buy it all from newegg. Amazon prices tend to change a lot and generally newegg will be cheaper overall. Plus the shipping is free with Shoprunner free trial. (no obligation either, so it would be worth the signup/cancel hassle!)

I think my monitors are nice, they may not line up perfectly but my main one is Sansung SyncMaster 930b, and the second one is HPw1707. Any significant differences between .625 build and .75? and i guess i wont be able to keep to many of my current internals then eh. Im pretty excited about this :)))))

I think my monitors are nice, they may not line up perfectly but my main one is Sansung SyncMaster 930b, and the second one is HPw1707. Any significant differences between .625 build and .75? and i guess i wont be able to keep to many of my current internals then eh. Im pretty excited about this :)))))

No shame in liking your monitors, I grow close to mine as well. :)
(Eyes just get use to them or something!)

Your current internals are just a bit too old to be used in systems within the last 3 years. Sorry about that!

As far as build differences go, its really just up to you on money. The .625 is going to be OK at games (med rez) and have a OK processor. For the bit more of the .75 your going to get quite a bit better gaming performance (Full rez for your screens) and a good 300MHz increase in performance of your processor. I would say if you can afford the extra $45 bucks to do it. :thup:

You can always mix and match between the two as well. If you would prefer the better processor but don't mind the worse GPU performance then you can get the G850 processor instead and get more CPU for the money. What ever you want to do there.

Of course you are asking a hardware guy. So my opinion is get what you can upgrade later. Or in this case, go ahead and get the teir .75, I bet you won't regret it at all.

No shame in liking your monitors, I grow close to mine as well. :)
(Eyes just get use to them or something!)

Your current internals are just a bit too old to be used in systems within the last 3 years. Sorry about that!

As far as build differences go, its really just up to you on money. The .625 is going to be OK at games (med rez) and have a OK processor. For the bit more of the .75 your going to get quite a bit better gaming performance (Full rez for your screens) and a good 300MHz increase in performance of your processor. I would say if you can afford the extra $45 bucks to do it. :thup:

You can always mix and match between the two as well. If you would prefer the better processor but don't mind the worse GPU performance then you can get the G850 processor instead and get more CPU for the money. What ever you want to do there.

Of course you are asking a hardware guy. So my opinion is get what you can upgrade later. Or in this case, go ahead and get the teir .75, I bet you won't regret it at all.

not even the optical drive and power supply? :rain: Yea i think tier .75 would be good. would i at least be able to keep my case? its a pretty nice Sony Vaio desktop case with some kewl looking blue LED lights. I swear if i could have a room lit in blue LEDs i would totally do it. I feel like a bug at times, drawn to light...(note self, stay away from Vegas) I guess i would really have to get everything at once instead of being able to get some stuff now and being able to use them and then getting the rest, since my internals are old

not even the optical drive and power supply? :rain: Yea i think tier .75 would be good. would i at least be able to keep my case? its a pretty nice Sony Vaio desktop case with some kewl looking blue LED lights. I swear if i could have a room lit in blue LEDs i would totally do it. I feel like a bug at times, drawn to light...(note self, stay away from Vegas) I guess i would really have to get everything at once instead of being able to get some stuff now and being able to use them and then getting the rest, since my internals are old

You can probably keep the case if it can house a microATX mobo. I can't find any info on the Vaio housing screw spacing. (If you want to order the parts and check to see if its fits, more power to you)

Power supply won't have the correct connectors for the new HDD or Mobo. Plus the tech has improved a bit, and will make your CPU last longer with a better PSU.

If the lights in the computer make you happy (they sure make me happy!) then if you can't reuse the case I would suggest you check out your options on Newegg. As mentioned in the hardware-rev guide, the case is very much a personal preference. There are some excellent cases for cheap with nice LED fans. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147122 They aren't going to break the bank at any rate! :)

I know its hard, but try and pace yourself. Buy what is on sale for the month, and then wait till next month to get the rest. It will end up better for you in the end! :thup:

Edit: I did find your Motherboard and it seems it is microATX. This means that in theory you should be able to re-use your case! :D

Last edited:
more or less, wouldn't consider myself a novice, although might have to change my mind once all the parts come in. downside of being a software guy, never get enough time to play actual doctor

I know the feeling! Hardware is more fun though. (At least I think so)

Just wanted to make sure you were familiar with handling the parts and stuff. More than one person building for the first time has fried their components by not handling them correctly... I didn't want that to happen to you, esp. with the budget your on! :)

yea absolutely, im just gonna have the stuff sit here separately until i get everything together then will definitely ask for guidance, i am really not trying to dry anything

Back