• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a computer for and with my son

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midlight21

My son is 6 years old and he is in need of a computer for educational use, i.e. learning software, educational games, reading, tutoring, etc. I don't wish to spend a ton of money on it, no more than $500-800, preferably less if possible. My son is also interested in helping me build the computer, project for Mommy and son. :) The reason for this build is that the old Dell no longer cuts it. It's Celeron processor can't keep up with my son. I will pick up parts as I find the best deals on the final components and build will probably be completed in 1 - 2 months.

Requirements:
1. Needs to be able to run many many internet windows (he hasn't quite learned to close them when done or he forgets to).
2. Needs to be able to stream videos, play online learning games, etc flawlessly.
3. Case needs to have a large window, multiple windows or be fully acrylic as I want him to be able to see how all the parts work together to form a system.
4. His favorite colors are blue and green and he'd be very happy to have one or both included in the build.
5. I would like for him to have a color coded keyboard (i.e. different colors for consonants, vowels, numbers, punctuation, etc).
6. Needs to have at least a dual-core processor and I prefer AMD due to budget friendly prices.
7. Absolutely NO MSI motherboard. I have not had good luck with them and the one I have has been relegated to HTPC duty and expect it to fail in the next year.
8. No need for an SSD and most likely will only need a 500GB HDD.

Things I already have:

1. I have 8GB of DDR3 memory in the HTPC, I can pull 4GB for this build.
2. I have a small black Dell flat screen monitor that I want to continue using till it dies.
3. I have thermal compound and two AMD stock coolers that came with the two CPU's in my sig.
4. A copy of Windows XP and a copy of Windows 7 Home but I'll most likely use Windows XP unless ALL of the educational software I want to purchase for him is fully Windows 7 compatible.

Items needed:

Motherboard
Processor
Video Card
Case
Power Supply
Hard drive
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD burner

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ya, I've seen them in the library we go to for my son's tutoring. Now I just have to find a matching set of headphones and figure out a way of keeping all the parts where they are supposed to be so nothing gets lost. My son is the little prince of dragging everything all over the house. In his case....wired is good! LOL.

I think I'll go for the Elite 431 CM case because I really didn't like the slots in the window of the Elite 430.

mama midlight, you'd better reconsider that case as it's only 7.55" wide and I think the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ may be too tall for that. Better look at cases that are at least 8" wide. Look at the Coolermaster HAF 912.

Trents, not putting in a Hyper 212 on this one. :) Will either use stock or if I just can't stand using stock...I'll put in a CM Gemin II. Might get that one to replace the atrocious Rosewill heatsink in my HTPC too. I've given it 2 chances so far and temps still suck.

do you have a micro center near by? if you do you can get the fx-4100 and a asus mobo for $100 and when you start up the system press the 4 key to unlock the extra 2 cores giving you a alright mobo/quad core for a $100 if you don't have one near by send me a pm and i might be able to help you but that's just a suggestion.

I have a Microcenter nearby. I usually get all my CPU/mobo combos there. :)

ETA: I looked at those FX-4100 combos....I don't really want Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphics. I'm trying to build a computer that can keep up with my son....and I doubt that would. The HD 4200 on the MSI board in my sig couldn't even run Bejeweled 3 right....

Last edited:
Back