• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DietPepsi0219

hey im building a computer..here are my proposed specs..what am i missing? is all of this compatible?

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon x800XL PCI Express x16
Mobo: DFI Lanparty Socket 929 Nforce 4
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ san diego
RAM:Corsair Value Select 1 GB Unbuffered 184 PIN DDR SDRAM DDR 400 PC 3200
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra Ata100
Case: Xoxide X-Static
PSU: Forton Bluestorm 400W
Fans: NEED HELP!
Audio Card: Do i need one??? if so what would you suggest?

What is an HDD and a Raid?

Last edited:
HDD is your hard drive, for RAID read the stickies above...I personaly don't suggest RAID unless it's RAID 1 or 5 (read the sticky for more info on the RAID levels and information).

Everything looks compatable, I would suggest getting a SATA HDD as most are the same price and they cables are easier to work with...you do need to have a floppy drive though when you install windows (for the SATA drivers).

Make sure to get the DFI NF4 Ultra-D. Also get value RAM from another manufacturer. That Corsair RAM has some problems with the DFI board. Get a SATA HDD. If you are overclocking I would spend the extra for the Fortron AX500-A

ajrettke said:
you do need to have a floppy drive though when you install windows (for the SATA drivers).
I have installed Windows on 3 or 4 different SATA drives, and I didn't use a floppy drive at all. Although it certainly couldn't hurt to add one to the system, I don't think it's a requirement.

HDD looks good...and scott, that's good to hear! They must have started steaming in SATA drivers with SP2 (SP1 didn't work for me atleast).

DietPepsi0219 said:

Those are fine and the motherboard you linked to is also fine. However by running dual channel you will get a slight performance boost. To run dual channel you need two sticks. I would actually suggest buying a 1GB stick though because with games like BF2 using so much RAM (on high settings anyway) you may want to upgrade to 2GB soon. So you can just add another 1GB stick later.

alright thanks for the information...i was actually planning on playing Counter Strike Source and HL2...will that make a difference?

ajrettke said:
HDD looks good...and scott, that's good to hear! They must have started steaming in SATA drivers with SP2 (SP1 didn't work for me atleast).
[off topic] ajrettke, would this issue show itself when installing SP1 on a Dell laptop? The laptop has a SATA drive, and when I installed SP1 > no need for floppy. I'm just curious if this is a different story being from Dell. I also have done it on a custom build, but that was with SP2, so now I'm not too sure of myself. [/off topic]

hmm might be because it's dell and a laptop it probably has a different type controller...probably a propriotary one which uses dell drivers fromt he dell disk or generic IDE drivers (since SATA is IDE just like PATA....maybe generic controllers work fine with generic drivers.

DietPepsi0219 said:
alright thanks for the information...i was actually planning on playing Counter Strike Source and HL2...will that make a difference?

Make a difference in what?

nevermind about the 'will it make a difference' comment i am not sure what i was talking about...

So the final specs are as follows

Mobo: DFI LANPARTY UT NForce4 Ultra D Socket 939 Nvidia
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2Ghz
Graphics: ATI Radeon X800XL PCI Express x16
RAM: Mushkin 1GB DDR400 SDRAM PC3200 Unbuffered
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA150 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
Case: Xoxide X-Static Black Case
PSU: Forton Bluestorm 400W PSU
Fans: 3 Panflo 80x25 Ultra Quiet

is that all i will need?

DietPepsi0219 said:
nevermind about the 'will it make a difference' comment i am not sure what i was talking about...

So the final specs are as follows

Mobo: DFI LANPARTY UT NForce4 Ultra D Socket 939 Nvidia
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2Ghz
Graphics: ATI Radeon X800XL PCI Express x16
RAM: Mushkin 1GB DDR400 SDRAM PC3200 Unbuffered
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA150 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
Case: Xoxide X-Static Black Case
PSU: Forton Bluestorm 400W PSU
Fans: 3 Panflo 80x25 Ultra Quiet

is that all i will need?
You might want to consider getting a non-stock cpu heatsink if you think you might want to overclock. I have heard good things about the XP-90/120 and the Zalman 7xxx hsf's. :)

Last edited:
BrutalDrew said:
Those are fine and the motherboard you linked to is also fine. However by running dual channel you will get a slight performance boost. To run dual channel you need two sticks. I would actually suggest buying a 1GB stick though because with games like BF2 using so much RAM (on high settings anyway) you may want to upgrade to 2GB soon. So you can just add another 1GB stick later.

It would be hard to get the exact same RAM if you buy them on different dates/places.

I would suggest that you get some OCZ Platn Rev2 for your RAM as it would go nicely with your board and SanDiego. Also get the 500W BlueStorm because biger never hurts and you won't need a sound card since DFI NF4 boards come with awsome onboard sound.

Back