• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Time for a rebuild. . .gonna need some help here

ok well i finally finished my first real build and finally got it oc'd to where i wanted it. now i am bored so im planning on selling my current rig and building a new one. here is what ive planned. i wanna oc the new proc to 3.2. let me know if you have any suggestions. let me know if anything here isnt compatible/wont fit as well. im still no pro but want a more professional powerful setup.

Case: Thermaltake Strike Mx VI6001BNS
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1100 (PC2 8800) x2
MOBO: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
HSF: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100227L Radeon HD 3850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA
Side fan: stock
Rear exhaust: SilenX IXP-74-14G 120mm
Front intake: XIGMATEK XSF-F1251 120mm

the whole thing is gonna be about $1100. does that seem outta whack or right inline? used newegg for everything.

Last edited:
by the way my current rig is for sale if anyone is intersted. has lots of extras not listed in my signature and includes a liscened copy of xp. pm me if you are intersted

probably don't need a 650W PSU if that's the vid card you're going with
doesn't really look like you're going to be using this rig for gaming?

...only other thing i'd change is the RAM
since you probably won't be pushing more than 400FSB on that quad you can probably get away with some DDR2 800MHz RAM

really i used the psu calc and said i needed 550 so i always give my self an extra 100 w to play with, plus i may crossfire someday if i decide to start gaming in the future. as far as the ram i may look at that into that a little further, i just didnt want to be limited by the ram and i want this computer to be upgradeable for the future.

Back