• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-Building my computer, looking for all your amazing advice :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venorize

Registered
Hey everyone. A few years ago I was here and I got all your help building my dream computer within my budget. Well, the times have changed and theres better stuff out there. I have money again and am looking to upgrdade.

I will list exactly what I have in this computer, however I am NOT willing to change my Case. I'd also not like to change motherboards unless someone feels it is absolutely necessary. I'm mainly looking at going to ddr3 ram and upping it to 4gigs, also my processor isn't exactly up to par in my opinion. Anyways, any suggestions to improve my current build are much appreciated.

My current budget is $350, and I would really like to not pass that number.

(Note: This computer is used for much multi-tasking in small-end programs, running Dual-monitor dual-screen setup. This computer gets a lot of use. It is also used for med-high end gaming with games like WoW, Rift, SC2, All Call of Duty games, and diablo3 when it's released.)

CURRENT BUILD:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Case:
Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I love this case, and the size of a full tower is specifically something I did want, I do not care to upgrade my case.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Motherboard:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

I would really like to avoid changing motherboards because I hear the hastle and problems can be great, especially because I'm afraid my computer won't boot on a different board without re-installing the operating system on the new motherboard (i had that issue a long time ago, I'm not sure if todays technology still has this issue).

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

So far I have no problems with this. I don't see myself needing any more than this unless someone thinks I really need it based on further upgrades.

Video Card:
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

I know its a good card, especially with G92. I'm not sure if it's worth going higher than this in today's extreme gaming economy.

Memory/Ram:
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I'd like to go to 4GB, but based on my own research, it seems better to just nix the two sticks I have now and go right to buying 4 sticks (or 2x 2gb sticks) of DDR3. Anyone else recommend this?

If anyone does recommend ram, please make sure its compatible with my motherboard lol :salute:

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core

I'm kind of a scrub at researching processers, I know this isn't the best processor, and would really like a recommendation on where to go here. Think I should be headed to quad-cores? Is it affordable?

Last edited:
Not really much u can do unless u change that mobo.

I5 760- $204
Asus p7p55de-lx -$129 or $139
Ram- 4gb of g.skill 1600 cl9 in ur case- should be about 45 bucks

It will come out to about $390 or so. This is probably the best u can do if u wanna upgrade to intel for ur budget. If u don't wanna wait to ge the extra dough, then wait for Someone else to post about a good amd choice because I don't know much bout amd, sorry.

Oh and if u are in the 1 percentile of people that have to get a new version of windows because u changed the mobo, well then, that blows. Not likely though:)

You have to change the motherboard if you want to use DDR3.

EDIT: I'm thinking something along the lines of AMD Athlon II 640 $100, AM3 mATX MB-$100-125, RAM-G.Skill $45, PSU-$80-90, Video Card-$100-150, CPU cooler $25. Leave the PSU out or buy used parts then it could get closer to your $350 goal.

Last edited:
Then I come with a new question. If I change my motherboard, will I have to reinstall windows? Or will I be able to plug and play, motherboard and possibly other new parts, and have this HD work. Because I would think that this windows might think it's on a new computer. I'm currently using windows 7 64bit.

Although there are ways to get around errors and what not. It's usually best to re-install windows. Otherwise you could very well end up with mixed drivers and a very confused windows system! I'm not sure about cloning/imaging the windows drive off to another drive and loading it back up or whatever.. Dunno how that stuff works.

But In general, when swapping in a new mobo specifically, I would definitely re-install, regardless of the pain it brings to do so, it's less of a pain than working around the errors/bs than trying the alternative.

Back