• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a USB Linux system for stress testing and monitoring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Has anyone tried this? I would love to have a full blown graphic desktop (xfce or some other light weight window manager) that I can use for system restore/monitoring/stress testing that I can keep in my pocket.

I think I'm close, but I can't seem to get any distro to recognize my mouse (not surprising as it's hardly recognized as a mouse by my friends :D ), so this weekend I picked up a cheap Onn mouse from Walmart. I haven't had time to pull my system out and switch mice, but I think then I'll be able to complete it. Here's what I've done so far, in case anyone want's something similar:

1) I decided that I was going to use a distro called System Rescue CD, because it is lightweight, has both x86 and 64 bit kernels, and is already built for system maintenance.
2) I installed VMware Player.
3) I created a virtual machine that I called "install to usb", that had half of my system resources dedicated to it, and the minimum HDD capacity.
4) I set the ISO for System Rescue CD to be the boot CD on the VM.
5) I booted the system, connected my flash drive, set it to run strait to the graphic desktop on the 64 bit kernel and once it got there, typed in the terminal: "sysresccd-usbstick dialog". I clicked on my flash drive, and let it go. I did it that way because the entire flash drive (mine is 32GB) serves as persistant memory for the system.

That's as far as I got, because the system would hang at what I believe was USB detection on boot, which is why I bought a cheap mouse. Once I get into the system, I will install P95, as well as other programs for stress testing and system monitoring. If anyone here has a better idea, or has an idea of how to make it better, let me know. I hope that Wednesday or Thursday I can get this running.

why not just run a live distro of knoppix off your pendrive, which has two partitions on it? Full featured, you shouldnt have issues with compatibility... boom done.

That. All you're trying to do is run a live distro off a flash drive, right? Just get YUMI and download one of the supported distros (Ubuntu, Mint, others) and it does it all for you.

I always have on hand a USB install of OC forums own 'homegrown' Linux-live image called Overclockix.

Very versatile at stock, you can also add any package you need from the regular Debian repos.

Not that I have a vested interest or anything....

Overclockix is designed and maintained for just this purpose

Wow, I didn't see anything about Overclockix anywhere on google, and didn't even think of looking for something like it here. I'm downloading it now, thanks!

Back