• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Win7 tower to this spec?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KarelB

Hi,

Anyone able to advise me on what components to buy to get a tower that will conform to this spec (without breaking the bank)?

Windows Vista, Windows 7 (64-bit)
Intel Xeon/Core 2 Duo, Quad/Core i7 or AMD Opteron/ Phenom processor(s).
8 GB RAM minimum
Graphics card
CUDA Compute Capability 2.0
Minimum 1.0 GB RAM

Taken from: http://www.emotion3d.tv/stereoscopic-suite/system-requirements

Many thanks! :thup:

Edit: I've built several PCs, but none for at least six years.

You can tell when this was written as they are saying Win 7/Win Vista.

Also here:

Intel Xeon/Core 2 Duo, Quad/Core i7 or AMD Opteron/ Phenom processor(s).

These are old processors. I assume they are talking about first gen i7 cpus here.
Since they are suggesting mostly Intel processors, I will give you an example build you can do with those. I will also give you an example build with AMD.

For Intel

i7 4770K
ASUS Z97-A
2x8GB 1866Mhz DDR3
GTX 760 2GB
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Random $20 optical drive
Noctua NHD14 cooler
Seasonic 600W gold rated PSU

For AMD, replace the CPU with FX 8350 and the motherboard with either ASUS Sabretooth or M5A99FX.

Either one of those setups will be fine for this application. If you need more SSD or HDD space, get bigger drives. You should look up user commentary on how well this program runs on different hardware. You may only need a 4670K CPU and a GTX 750Ti, for example.

And obviously, buy Win 7 or 8, don't buy vista :p

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated.

'Breaking the bank' is difficult to define. Well under 1k I would hope. I have cases, power supplies, etc from other builds.

Yes, the spec is a bit dated - the company has run into some probs since (lack of demand!) but the software is still there, and so now is my need to use it!

Back then it would have cost the Earth to buy a PC to that spec, but I'm sure it's now a lot less, and I would hope that I can go a bit beyond without costing much more (and I want to key and layer images, which is CPU hungry).

I'll take a closer look at those suggestions. Cheers! ;)

Cheers!

I'm in the UK, so £1k is more like $1,400. I should have said. I'd cannibalise a couple of PC towers that are a bit long in the tooth for parts. I could have called that an upgrade, but it would be more drastic.

Cheers!

I'm in the UK, so £1k is more like $1,400. I should have said. I'd cannibalise a couple of PC towers that are a bit long in the tooth for parts. I could have called that an upgrade, but it would be more drastic.

It's really annoying when people don't provide pertinent information from the offset.

What parts will you be reusing?

What parts do you need?

Will you be ordering from scan.co.uk?

Back