• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New To The Forums And PC Building

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blink Gaming

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and i wanted to create a first build thread to get input and suggestions from people in the field or enthusiasts who know alot more about this then I do.

A little about me i have always been a fan of gadgets and computers growing up. I used to take them apart and put them together with no problems. I am very eager to learn new things. I watch alot of youtube videos to learn how to do things that i may not normally know how to do. ( you would be surprised the stuff you can find on there ) There is a video for almost anything.

I am very avid xbox one gamer mostly fps or games with good stories and i have recently got into video editing and pc gaming.
I thought i would start my own youtube channel and make videos that i enjoy to watch my self.
IE: Unboxing , Gaming , Tech Etc.
I have no expectations on becoming anyone big or even being known I would be happy just to know my own content is out there and if even one person finds it helpful i would be happy.
I have been helping my daughter with her own youtube channel this past year which is a sports news broadcast type show based of the San Francisco 49ers . We are a big football family.
Currently I am running a MSI Gs60 laptop with a
Core I7 -4720HQ @ 2.60ghz
16gb of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M

as my main machine i had a older HP laptop that kept dying a slow death.
So what i am looking to do is a build a PC spec'd out enough to run what ever i need to throw at it with out breaking the bank.

I have been watching some videos recently on different part reviews so i am going to post what parts i have come up with for my current/first build.

Please let me know if these parts will work together are the best bang for my buck or any other suggestions you may have.

Cpu
Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz Skylake Processor $419.00
MotherBoard
Msi Atx DDR4 Z170A Gaming M7 $220.00
Case
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Mid Tower $180.00
Ram
G.Skill 32gb Ripjaws V series DDR4
Graphics Card X 2
Msi Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 $350.00
All In 1 liquid Cooler
Nzxt Kraken X61 $167.00

Storage and Power Supply Still up in the air.
Now i am up to change anything on here if there is a good reason ,performance or price etc.
All prices are from amazon.

So open to all opinions.

thanks for reading and i hope to learn alot from the comminity here at overclockers.com

What are your goals for the system, if gaming what resolution?
Do you have a set budget or just "reasonable"?

What are your goals for the system, if gaming what resolution?
Do you have a set budget or just "reasonable"?

I dont have any specific goals at this point. Not looking for 4k as i only have one tv running 4k right now but it wouldnt hurt to future proof it since 4k tech is finally becoming more reasonable.

i will be a streaming/gaming machine . video editor and uploading machine as well.
I am not looking to spend a whole lot but i feel up to 2k is reasonable . now if i can do it for less then that is always better.
Atminside i see your also in NC. You any where near Raleigh area by chance. could always use a local person with knowledge if i ever get stuck.

The parts you have chose should work together without a problem and you have made some good choices. If you are only using one video card then a quality PSU of 500-550 watts will do fine. Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic gold class units are favorites around here. As far as storage goes, definitely get an SSD for the system drive where you will be installing Windows and the programs. A lot of people will then add a large spinner hard drive for data storage and waste from video/photo editing.

Something like this would be my suggestion:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RNT2XL

I kept the case, as it is a very good one, but it is also expensive.
You could also get away with a lot less CPU cooler if you're not overclocking.

I'm a few hours out of Raleigh actually.

Looks like it should work.
Before you buy, check out easymountlcd also.

I wouldn't buy (2) 970 cars if that is what you are proposing. Get a single 980ti instead. Sli doesn't scale well in some games and even at its best it isn't twice as powerful as a single card.

Unless you are planning to do some serious overclocking you could probably get away with an air cooler that costs half as much.

All that stated, you could put together an equally good system for a lot less money since you mentioned thatin your second post. If you're only gaming at 1080p you would probably be very satisfied with a single 970. You could probably spend half as much on the car and still get a very good one. Same with the motherboard, unless you need the features being offered on the gaming 7, you could probably get one that will meet your needs equally well for $50 less. These items combined with a noctua d15 cooler would probably knock $600 off your price without any serious impact to performance given what you will be using it for.

Back