• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building computer need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentwhisnant

Registered
Im trying to build a computer for a friend. I picked out some parts but to be honest Im not sure if they can all go together or whatnot. Here is a list of the parts I have so far:

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500

EVGA Z68 SLI Micro 120-SB-E682-KR LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

and I already have a 320gb hard drive with windows 7 installed on it. If I need any more parts or some of them wont work together, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

What's His/Your overall budget? I would go for a better graphics card if this is for heavy gaming, probably either a 560 or 570. And why not put the 2500k inside? That way if he wants to overclock he can. 800w is overkill for this system. Also, this could be your preference, but why go with an Matx board? Less expansion and just as much cost. Everything will certainly work together though if you choose not to upgrade anything :)

No comment on the GPU without knowing budget and primary use of this system.

I'd look at Antec, Season, XFX, Kinwin or Corsair for PSU. 700-850W is overkill for the current specs but will easily allow for SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Definitely go with a 2500K vs a 2500, the K series allow OCing. Also recommend a good aftermarket CPU cooler, at least a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO.

Look at an ATX MB.

Finally I seriously consider a SSD for program and OS drive. It really do improve the speed and feel of the computing experience. Around here Crucial M4 128 GB can be had for $140 and a Muskin Chronos 120 GB for $120. Well work the investment.

All he needs the computer for is guild wars 2 with no hiccups. He doesnt want to spend more than 900 dollars

Here's something I would do:
picture.php

But seriously, listen to the guy above, spend little more and get an SSD, it'll barely be over $900 :)

I'd drop the Rosewill 650W PSU and get a Corsair 600W, mostly because I'm wary of non-Corsair PSUs. Also, why the HAF 922? HAF 912 is a fine case for a build like that, and it costs $20 less.

If he can scavenge the HDD and the DVD drive (which I assume he can, since they're not in the first post), dropping the case to a HAF 912 will give you $120-$140 to get an SSD, which is well worth it. $10 saved on the PSU, too.

Re-did it with the HAF 912 and the 600W PSU, and dropped the DVD-Rom drive. Added a 60GB SSD for a boot drive and maybe a few programs. You actually CAN fit a GTX 570 into this, but it comes to $903.

Attachments

• RAWRRARAWR.png
    RAWRRARAWR.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 74
Meh, unless you need a NVIDIA specific feature, the 560Ti/570 are outclassed in their price range by the 7850/7870. Gotta wait until the midrange 6xx cards come out.

Better video card, 120GB SSD, and an aftermarket cooler (so you can actually overclock, lol).

$10 promo code on the CX600 covers the shipping charges, MIRs bring you just under budget.

Capture.JPG

Why would you go for a non modular power supply? Messy :) And I chose the haf 922 because it's mostly steel construction, not ABS plastic. Knufire, I definitely agree with the video card though :)

Why would you go for a non modular power supply? Messy :) And I chose the haf 922 because it's mostly steel construction, not ABS plastic. Knufire, I definitely agree with the video card though :)

Because I don't trust Rosewill for power supplies, and there's plenty of space to strap the extra wires in the HAF 912 (and I'd assume the 922).

He near a microcenter ? Could get a nice price on a motherboard/cpu bundle.

Also if you are going to spend any good cash on a gpu then invest in a solid psu.

Over at the egg they have some good prices on the seasonic brand and corsair. Don't skimp on it. You could go with a 650w psu and SLI down the road with either of those units in that range without an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...001697 600014022&IsNodeId=1&name=SeaSonic USA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57 50001459 600014022&IsNodeId=1&name=Corsair

I would not even think about spending 250+ on a gpu then turn around and power it will a mediocre psu. Best to invest in Quality from the start to avoid future issues with units such as those.

Why would you go for a non modular power supply? Messy :)

IMO, unless you're going with a 900W+ unit, modular is for the lazy. Give me a box of zipties and I can wire up a TX850 in mid-tower completely clean.

I agree that the HAF series is easily the better case, but if the choice is between getting a higher quality case and doubling the size of the SSD... I'll take the bigger solid state.

Or if you really want to be frugal, motherboard boxes work perfectly well! :)

Non modular is where all of the cables are stuck to the power supply. Modular allows you to take out the ones you don't need :)

Definitely go with a 2500K vs a 2500, the K series allow OCing. Also recommend a good aftermarket CPU cooler, at least a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO..

There is only a $10 difference on Newegg, I would personally go with the 2500k as well. Although, to a frugal person that may not EVER overclock, or try it 1-2 times and find out they don't have the patience for it at all. They might wonder why in the world they spent an extra $10 on a processor. Instead of saying "Definitely go with a 2500k." Just tell them the difference and play out a few scenarios and let them pick what they want. The guy he's building it for may slide the new rig onto his desk and start playing games straight away, and never think about his computer in any other way than "the thing that plays games"

Meh, unless you need a NVIDIA specific feature, the 560Ti/570 are outclassed in their price range by the 7850/7870. Gotta wait until the midrange 6xx cards come out.

7870 is $350 instead of $250. 7850 is $250-300 though... I think..

A lot of people have been posting $250 video cards. The video card price range could be stepped down a notch. $159-209. GTX 560 non-ti, Radeon 7770, 6870. Those cards will play most games at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 on Ultra, and BF3 on high with 60fps. Then again, it all depends on the budget, and monitor he is going to be using.

IMO, unless you're going with a 900W+ unit, modular is for the lazy. Give me a box of zipties and I can wire up a TX850 in mid-tower completely clean.

I'm not siding with modular PSU's. Nor am I siding with non-modular. I'm staying neutral. I've built a lot of system's with either one.

I'm actually using a TX850 and I feel like my system is magazine quality in terms of cable management. All boils down to the case in my opinion.

Sorry, don't think I made it completely clear, the 7870 [roughly, it's a tad more expensive] competes with the 570 and the 7850 competes with the 560Ti.

Yeah, it's my bad. I read it a little fast. I thought you were just comparing a 560TI to a 7870... :rofl: I didn't notice 560TI/570.

Back