• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building PC for the first time need help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingstarwei

Rosewill Computer Case - CHALLENGER - ATX Mid Tower - Black, Gaming - Three Included Fans - Two Extra Side Fans Supported

MSI GeForce GTX 970 GTX 970 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card

EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W 10 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54590 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

Western Digital WD10JUCT WD AV 2.5-inch 1TB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive - OEM

This is pretty much the PC i hope i can build.
Are these parts compatible ? If so any advice for improvements?
Sorry im very new to the whole PC building thingy :/

Last edited:
You should try to squeeze in an SSD if you can like others mentioned. Nothing seems incompatible in there, but you might be able to do better.

What is your budget and are you located in the U.S.? Have you tried using https://pcpartpicker.com/ to put your build together? It makes things pretty easy and you might be able to find a way to squeeze more out of your budget.

PSU is way overkill for your config unless you're looking to add more GPUs later on. 550W should be plenty for your config. And try to get a 3.5" HDD as it would be cheaper and faster. SSD for root filesystem would be good as well.

Also, you can go for cheaper "ordinary" RAM since the fancy stuff isn't that much better. 8GB might be enough depending on your uses.

Check out this build. You can probably save a few bucks by going with a cheaper (but still high quality) PSU. You don't need 850W to power the system you are building.

If this is a new build, why Haswell? Grab a Skylake based system. i7 6600K and Z170 based mobo/DDR4 ram...if your budget will support it. It will likely cost about $50 or so more. BUT, it is shiney and new!

I also agree with the SSD

And last, why 16GB of ram? 8GB should be fine. I would go 8GB to get Skylake based system vs 16GB Haswell.

Last edited:
I think we all need to toss the word cheaper into the trash and use 'less expensive' when that is what we mean lol.

But yeah....you will SERIOUSLY appreciate having an OS on SSD. It's like having Windows ME bootup...fast....but without the suck that was Windows ME.

If this is a new build, why Haswell? Grab a Skylake based system. i7 6600K and Z170 based mobo/DDR4 ram...if your budget will support it. It will likely cost about $50 or so more. BUT, it is shiney and new!

I also agree with the SSD

And last, why 16GB of ram? 8GB should be fine. I would go 8GB to get Skylake based system vs 16GB Haswell.

I don't think his budget is going to stretch that far (although OP didn't provide one) based on the parts he picked in his original build. Other than that overkill PSU and the 970 all of the other parts are pretty basic and "value" leaders. Going to skylake is probably going to cost $30 more for the mobo, $20 more for the RAM, and another $30 for a processor (i5-6500). That's $80 more, going to an i5-xxxxk system system would tack on another $30 plus the price of a decent cooler. $80 is another 10% of the total cost.

I agree though that if the budget allows pretty much everyone should be building Z170 systems opposed to Z97 at this point.

Agreed. Just figured he could do it with the money saved from going 2x4GB instead of 2x8GB of ram.

Possibly, but if I stepped down in memory I would take that extra money and use it to get a 240gb SSD instead of a 120.

I'm one of those people who likes to have a thousand tabs open though so I'm biased towards having the excess memory.

Don't forget that type of behavior(your browsing habits) is rare. We are doing this for the OP, not for your rare usage model, righT?

PSU is way overkill for your config unless you're looking to add more GPUs later on.
He can't sli with that rig anyway. :shrug:

Anyway, unless you (for some reason) own those pieces already, this is a better route.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Thy2sY

- The 4590 doesn't make much sense. If you're spending that, get a 4690k.
- a low end z97 board on a non k cpu also doesnt make much sense.
- the 4460 is pretty much just as good as the 4590 and is fair amount cheaper.
- h97 is JUST FINE.
- EVGA has better warranty support (from anecdotal experience anyway) than MSI. Its also cheaper.
- drop down to some cost effective 8gb of ram
- added SSD
- changed to a better 1tb hdd
- 500w is still overkill. If there was a 400w I'd find that, but probably not much there in the "reliable" department.

left case off as that can change

Don't forget that type of behavior(your browsing habits) is rare. We are doing this for the OP, not for your rare usage model, righT?

Yeah I suppose so. OP will probably do just fine with less memory, but I still stand by the rest of that statement that I would spend the money saved from going with less ram to get a larger ssd.

Back