• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building First Computer help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bammy

Registered
I want to build a new computer for gaming and was looking if anyone could help.

Pricing 2000$-3000$
3 monitors for streaming on twitch. I only want to play on the main screen.
Max fps on current games and what may come out.

I will be buying parts over the next 3 months, but want this built before fall. So if any new comp stuff coming out that's worth waiting for I will.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RxV2bv

No clue on cooling or fans. I can easily put a computer together, but lack knowledge on part comparability and knowing the difference in each part. The other choice I'm considering is 4770K and a Z87 motherboard, but I don't know how long the current setup would last as far as games coming out and if I would want to add another video card. I have a 550ti I could add to the computer. This would be from my old computer and no clue if that would even work. Would I be able to use the 550ti for side screens and use the 770ti for the main gaming screen?

Any advice would be amazing THANK YOU! :D

I'm no expert, but you can look down a few posts and see my learning-curve post about my build.

Your list:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($425.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($699.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($186.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($29.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $2525.59

Unless you're going extreme cooling, which using an all in one water cooler, you're not going extreme, you don't need a $450 motherboard. You can drop down to any z97 motherboard for $140-$180 and be good.

You also only have a single hard drive, ssd at 120gb. You're going to want storage. I picked up a Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb from amazon for $144
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJRS628/?tag=pcpapi-20

And, I'm curious as to the NIC you added. Any board you buy is going to be 10/100/1000 on board. I'm not sure why you added that.

Lastly, do you have your three monitors? Or are you going to be adding those? Are those part of your 2k-3k budget?

This being my first time I don't know much about ram or even that it made a huge difference or not. What would be the best bet?

I originally had 1866 g.skills Ares ram in my system.

I recently did an RMA and returned the unopened ram for the g.sills Ares 2133.

They ended up being the same exact price. You don't want anything lower than 1866. The Ares series has shorter heatsinks. But, if you're insistant on the all in one cooler, height won't matter then.

What screen resolution are you planning on?
Do you plan on overclocking it?
Do you live near a micro center?
Right off the top of my head:
The Cpu and motherboard combo are total overkill.
You need faster ram and are better off with 2 sticks.
Your psu is way more wattage then needed.
You do not need an Network adapter.
Sound card is also not needed.
Answer the top questions and we can put together a top end gaming system for a whole lot less.

the 2-3k budget was for the PC alone. My main screen will be a BenQ for FPS games. I played competitive and want a great pc to get back into gaming for $. As far as building computers Ive only put together one and my friend made the list of parts for me. For side screens they will only be used to view paypal, the stream, mass media and other stuff for streamers. I plan on just getting two cheap ones with the same resolution.

1. My issue with comparability when I use the site it wont let me select much else guessing due to slots for motherboard.

2. for storage I will only use this PC for gaming and my older pc for torrents, movies and whatever I just want enough to hold a decent amount of games. Don't know if streaming affects this at all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ updated

Thank you for helps and probably going to need a lot >.<

If you can help and make a list of a system for me THANK WOULD BE AMAZING!!!! lol

Wanted to say first time on this site and thank you for all the advice

With the i7 4770k and z97 1150 LGA I won't have any FPS drops below 144fps cap? Like with gun fire, grenades, multiple players and all?

Then my second wonder is will I have the same result in upcoming games in the future in case I want to play Pro in another game?

Bammy read post #6 and answer those questions, it will help greatly in building a rig for you.

The closest Micro center is Rockville Md for me. Not to far.

Generally I would need the comp to last 4-5 years of gaming and stay at max graphics with 144 fps cap and it not drop below 144fps.

also any 2 side monitors you can recommend? I just want something cheap with the same resolutions and that won't be god awful ha. I was wondering about the side monitors being able to run of a separate graphic card would it be better or not? If that would affect fps or graphics. Does anyone with 3 monitors notice it being annoying with different lengths as well? like benq 24 inch with other side monitors?

This is my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gravitywell/saved/3MtCmG

You're never going to be able to build a machine that's going to be max fps for 4-5 years. You'd be lucky to build a machine that could max fps for 1-2 years.

My build is aimed at a single 1440k monitor, or maybe 2x 1080p monitors, but that's unlikely.

My build is the new 4790k processor (comes out on the 30th of this month) 16gb of 2133 ram, and a 780ti gpu. For gaming, I'm not sure I could have changed anything to make it better, without spending an obscene amount of money.

This whole build is sub $2k.

And, just some advice. Requesting and demanding 144fps is ... unnecessary. Most human eyes can register 60-70fps, anything above that just offers relative smoothness and fluidity. You'll also need a monitor with a refresh rate to match your fps.

He's what I put together. A few notes, the case is a personal choice, I really like the Corsair 540, if you do not pick the HAF in your first post. I do not like AIO water heasinks, Air is just so much more reliable. Intel has a newer version of the 4770k the 4970k but it isn't bundled at microcenter yet. If you want the latest chip out then get the 4970k. If you have any question all be back in the morning.
View attachment 145300
View attachment 145301
View attachment 145302

Last edited:
Fps makes a huge difference as far as gaming goes. I would be happy if it lasted 2 years ha. I just would need it over 144 fps and stay above. I mean be able to do that under max graphics.

Back