• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building first PVR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jskill

Hello, I am researching building my own PVR right now. I am very comfortable with building/working with computers. I just saw this sitting on newegg and was curious what you guys thought about it. I would definitely want to upgrade the Tuner Card to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 because I want dual tuner. Also, I need it to support Analog and OTA QAM. From what I have read the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 is one of the best at doing that. The one place where I am questioning this is the video card issue. I just can't believe that the onboard card can output high definition without any stuttering issues. Do you guys see any other issues with the components. I am not against choosing components individually, but I just saw this and found it a good starting place. Overall, I am just looking for a dual tuner Analog/OTA QAM PVR. I am not sure of the OS I intend to use, but am leaning towards Myth TV (Mythbuntu) due to the cost factor. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Make sure myth supports whatever tuner you get. Also, are you using ota or qam? They are not the same thing. In either case silicone dust has a great channel guide on their site that should help you set up and make sure all the tuning is correct.

That deal is pretty good, and the intel HD graphics is better than you think. With myth you will have to experiment with things to get video to decode properly. I don't know if myth will be able to use HA or not no matter what card you choose.

Back