• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new Gaming Rig - Help on new hardware selection (for overclocking)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbaker

So it's been some years since I did my last full rig, which currently sits as: Intel Core i7-980 (running at 4.1 ghz), 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SC (4GB) w ACX 2.0, 24gb (6 x 4gb) Muskin DDR3 1600, 1000w Coolermaster silent pro gold PSU, 250 gb Samsung 840 Evo + HHD in a HAF 932 case. The CPU, Mobo, Memory and Case are the oldest parts (2011).

While I do 3D work - I'm mostly doing real-time graphics, which goes hand-in-hand with the true purpose... gaming.

I'm likely getting a Core i7-6700k Processor (thought about a 5930k, but not sure if it's the right choice). But when it comes to overclocking friendly Motherboards for LGA 1151, and Memory that would be an ideal fit (think there are some that go up to 64gb of DDR4 3700? My hope is remaining at least at 32 gb). Any suggestions on where to start?

I guess with that - I am curious what mobo socket may have a longer lifespan when looking at the 2011v3 (5930k) or 1151 (6700k) - I'm hesitant to go with the better but older hardware (5930k) only since it was the position I was in when I got the i7-980, great CPU of a generation where there wasn't much room to go with the socket. I've replaced GPUs and SSDs and such, but when looking at 6700k and 1151 or 5930k and 2011v3 - and my hope to overclock it (general recommendations for cooling?).

I'm not looking to OC my system to an extreme degree, mostly since I'm novice. I'm definitely putting resources into quality components though (looking at enclosed Liquid Cooled CPU systems vs large fans).

Would love any general pointers. Again - it's been a while since I've built a new rig. Excited, but also a bit confused with the different options and directions. THANK YOU for any and all tips!

If the real time graphics work you do utilizes all 6c/12t of the 5930k then it may be the better choice, if not then get the 6700k. As far as socket life spans 1151 is the better choice though you may only get 1 upgrade until they have another socket.

Most midrange quality 1151 socket motherboard will give you all the performance you need. The Asrock Extreme 6 Z170 is a pretty good bang for the buck and will give you 64 Gb of memory support, as long as the Os you choose does as well. The sweet spot for DDR 4 is around 3000 Mhz Cl 15 on the ram most kits are able to be Oced as well if you choose. I have a set of G. Skill V 3200 Cl 16 that will do 3600 at Cl 15.

You're probably only going to get one more processor out of either socket you choose. 2011v3 will get its new processor (broadwell-e) someone in Q2 or Q3 this year if I remember the last article I read correctly. 1151 will probably not get a new processor until 2017.

Either way you won't be able to use the mobo again assuming you maintain a similar upgrade interval.

If you think you will never need more than 32gb of ram them Skylake will be fine, but I'm guessing it will be a long time before 16gb dimms reach "reasonable" prices since most people really don't need more than 8gb right now. That would make x99 more attractive as it had the 8 dimm sockets.

If you're not looking to get every last bit of speed out if your oc you will probably be fine with a good high end air cooler like the noctua d15. There is a lot less that can go wrong with an air cooler and it's probably the simpler choice if you are looking for something you can put on and forget about for 5 years.

I appreciate the feedback. I think for the moment, I'm going to get the i7-6700k in hopes that I can upgrade it down the line (it's a damn fine processor as it is). If there's not a new processor out until 2017, that's fine (though I'd assume they may be mid-grade). Is it just me, or is there more bifurcation in socket-standards. Are there still processors on the horizon to succeed the 5930k as far as performance goes?

It's so much work to build a new machine (at least for me), getting longevity out of the thing that has the most amount of conneciton points (the motherboard) has always been the hinge-point in developing an entirely new rig (or not). Maybe since I buy higher-quality parts at the start, I feel there's less upgrade opportunities for anything these days. I upgrade the GPU 2, 3 times in a cycle (and can still do that on my current rig), same with the storage and even memory. But the CPU doesn't seem to have much room to grow in a socket generation.

broadwell-E will succeed haswell-E (5960, 5930, 5820, xeon, etc) on the same 2011v3 socket. Performance increase will probably be incremental and not worth upgrading to if you already own haswell-e. Same can be said for whatever comes after skylake, it will be incrementally better but not earth shattering and not worth upgrading to for most users who buy skylake. Beyond that nobody knows, but history would say a new socket will be coming. Intel has been giving each socket a tick & a tock before moving on to a new socket.

New CPUs and GPUs are released every year in the tick tock cycle, in the case of intel because of 14nm problems its a tick tock tock scenario. So this summer the successor to skylake will be kabylake but its it wont be in 10nm itll be 14nm like skylake also this summer the HEDT chip family will be Skylake-e, yes even though broadwell-e isnt even out right now. Skylake had a staggered released with broadwell so if the above sounded odd think back to that. It is unprecedented, again process problems.

TLDR the next cpu for 1151 comes out this summer its 14nm and the family name is kabylake

Been in a similar spot as yourself, though I don't do graphics work. You can see my rig in my signature.

Read an interesting article a day or two ago where someone used the same high end ram at several different speeds and timing combinations and found that with a 6700K, memory bandwidth nearly doubles, but in actual use, programs barely improve, I'm talking a couple percent (at best) in almost every case (from 2133 to ~3800, not each step). So, for me, I'd be going with inexpensive good quality 2133 ram and OC it moderately, perhaps 2400-2666. The price difference between 2133 and 3600+ is astounding considering it doesn't seem to do anything noteworthy, at least on Skylake.

I'd make sure you pick up a motherboard with at least one m.2 slot. Apples to apples, an m.2 drive really only shines in sequentials, so getting one now is not a real priority, but having it available, should that change, is a priority.

+1 on the Noctua D15. Don't bother with water cooling unless you are pushing the limits of your system (and if you use it for work, you better not be). Water cooling is louder, more expensive, and doesn't perform appreciably better than high end air cooling.

Broadwell-E gives life to the 2011 socket, but I'd be careful with board selection since some of them came out a while ago. The 2011 socket is a more expensive ecosystem, so be sure you can actually make use of it if you go that route.

Back