• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new rig, all parts bought already; need/got some opinions/questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zonnza

So I been reading these forums for a while, but I never found a reason to post since my knowledge of computers and overclocking was poor till the last few months.

Im building a new rig since my current one is 3 years old and not able to be upgradable... I never posted anything here cause I knew that my rig could not handle much of anything other then crappy games.

So my reasoning for building this new rig is to be able to upgrade it for the future and have a rig ready to play the upcomming games being released and most importantly, encode and make videos.

Here is all that I have ordered this past weekend after consulting 2 friends who are computer junkies: (excuse me for not having all the shorthand namings memorized, like CPU etc etc)

Case: Antec 1200
Mobo: Evga E760 Classified "Overclocker's Pick" x58
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad Core
PSU: Corsair 1000HX 1000w Modular
Gfx Card: Evga 295gtx CO-OP Edition
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB sticks) 240pin DDR3 1600
SSD: 2x OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB Sata II MLC Solid State Disk (Will put into raid0 config)
Dvd/CD Burner: Sony Optical 24x DVD/CD RW Black Sata

So that's it. I plan to build this up myself (my 2nd build) and take my Sound card and hard drives from my current computer and use them for my new rig. Hard drives for music and such, and sound card cause it makes sense.

I have a few questions that I would love to get some opinions and answers for: (please use numbers when answering :) )

1. Will my current sound card offer better settings then the onboard sound on the mobo?
My sound card is: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006
My Mobo link: Evga E760 Classified "Overclocker's Pick" x58 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048

2. What is the recommended OC for my CPU processor. I was given 3.2 and 3.6GHz by my 2 buddies but they never owned this CPU so they couldnt tell me for certain what I should OC it to. Im looking for something that won't cause my system to heat up too much and not require an additional CPU cooler over the CPU itself.

3. Should I OC the RAM, if so; what would you guys recommend? Same deal with the CPU thing, looking for a comfortable OC that doesnt require getting additional cooling.

4. Where in my case do I put my 2 OCZ Vertex SSDs? I seen some stupid things people buy that allows them to convert a hard drive bay for a SSD, but I want to know if there are any alternatives.

5. What will be the thing that hold my computer back assuming I don't OC? Im guessing my CPU processor. Then tell me what you guys believe will hold my system back if I OC the processor to 3.4GHz or so. (I guess the term is bottleneck?)

I believe thats it. If you guys have any advice or opinions of my rig, please post and tell me what you think. Im open ears to everything. The only thing I cant do is switch out what I already listed for other parts, since I have already ordered it and it is being shipped to me.

Sorry if I may have sounded like a newbie to this, but thats pretty much the case since I haven't been up to date with computer hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Zonnza

I can't answer all of them, but heres my shot in the dark!

#1 anything will sound better than on-board for the most part and xfi seems pretty popular choice right now

#2 i havent ocd one, so no info

#3 usually when you OC you go for the ram too, no need to bottleneck there, but I do not have settings for you.. that ram is rated to 1600, but good chances that default will be somewhere from 1100-1333..

#4 ssds, while thinner, should still fit into any hd opening, they still have screw holes same as any other drive.. if you wanted to get creative, put the system together and look for alternatives.. a dremel and some screws can go a long way in customization

#5 if you oc the processor only you will bottleneck at FSB, if you oc processor+fsb you will bottleneck at memory... basically if you are going to oc the system, you should really oc any part that has the capability to do so and not harm the system. There are plenty of OC guides on this site for tons if different mobo/cpus etc. Look at the stickies!

if you plan on overclocking the i7 you are really going to need to upgrade the heatsink.. the one they give you will not do much to the heat that this processer can build up.. TRUE has some of the best for them, but they are pricey..

Onboard audio is usually fine IMO...unless you need a specific connect or feature that isn't provided.

3.6 w/ turbo & HT on will generate a decent amount of heat depending on how much voltage is required. If you're trying to stay with stock cooling & 100% stability then this should provide you with plenty of challenge.

sure OC the ram too WTH. Doesn't seem to make much difference as far as overall performance on the i7, but this is OC Forums afterall.

I used the shell of an old dead CD-ROM drive to make a spiffy little nest for a pair of SSDs. They're still happily nesting after several months. Here are some pix & words to splain what I did: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210593&page=2

Wow that might actually work for me for SSD storage, i have a old dvd drive that died a while ago, just need to find it now. Thanks for the link Tim

Also for Psionic98, I havnt kept up to date with OCing so Ill read through a few of these stickies on the forums and see what I can do. At first I was planning to OC the processor to 3.4-3.6GHz, the ram to 1800 (maybe), and the FBS as well, but I will figure out where I can find a comfortable setting for all of it in the end.

I think that if I absolutely need additional cooling for the processor, then I will get one.

Anyways, now I just need to wait for everything to arrive and put it together, so if any others still have any opinions or advice, please reply.

The stock cooler on i7 should allow you to do 3.4 area w/o overheating.. though past that i'd suggest an aftermarket cooler.. plenty of good options out there, though a bolt-through from TRUE is a little expensive, but well worth it

Darn! Was looking forward to finally building my new rig tomorrow when I opened one of the packages I received today and realized that they sent me a nvid gtx 260 instead of a 295... RMA's for the lose!

Sets me back a week or so :( Hopefully my last 2 packages that come in tomorrow are in good condition and the correct items.

Back