• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building new rig. need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbcalo

Ok. So im building a new rig and i've decided that my current comp is just too large. So i've decided that the best solution, short of going to a laptop, would be to get a SFF, but with those you cant seem to be able to get pci express and a pci slot. because of this a current sound card wont work out. do you guys have any other suggestions? the solution i've been thinking about is to not get pci-express in this comp.

hhhhhhmmm..... have you maybe thought about a mid-tower? because i had a huge antec soho file server case before and i too felt it was really large, i parted that system out

now i have the rig in my signature and i have the mid-tower sviking case and it fits nicely next to my desk. wheres the antec file soho case didnt, so it makes me happy.

just an idea. also if you do think of a mid-tower i will vote for you get the kingwin kt-424 case, i love that case, i just wish that it had a 120mm fan in the front and 2 80mm fans in the rear otherwise i feal its perfect.

honhon said:
hhhhhhmmm..... have you maybe thought about a mid-tower? because i had a huge antec soho file server case before and i too felt it was really large, i parted that system out

now i have the rig in my signature and i have the mid-tower sviking case and it fits nicely next to my desk. wheres the antec file soho case didnt, so it makes me happy.

just an idea. also if you do think of a mid-tower i will vote for you get the kingwin kt-424 case, i love that case, i just wish that it had a 120mm fan in the front and 2 80mm fans in the rear otherwise i feal its perfect.

I had thought about a mid-tower and it could do the trick. the one thing i was trying to do was keep it small enough so that it could fit out of the way so i could have more leg room under the desk. the soho case is just too big in that respect, and it requires too many fans to keep cool.

now that i've mulled it over, im thinking that a mid-tower would be a more cost effective solution, if you know what i mean.

I would idealy like to step up to socket 939. what motherboard would you guys recommend? also are there anyother cases that i should look at? i would really love to find one that had a 120mm in the front and a 120mm in the back.

What about the antec sonata case? That's considered a mid-tower, no? I've heard nothing but good things about that particular case.

Yeah, some say its overrated, but I built a computer with it and it was a joy to work with. Probably the nicest case I've used. I love the side mounted hdd's and the space for such a "small" case.

Back