• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building on a tight budget D:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

genmon

Hello everybody, I'm new to the community, i usually read the site and now im finally part of the forums! :D

Anyways, im building a new system, been researching for 2 weeks now i but im having a little problem choosing the right Motherboard and Ram.

Im a Graphic Designer and i play games quite often in my spare time. Probably planning on overclocking on the long run but for now im more biased for stability and long term survival of my device :D.

Since my current computer is well...... like 7 years in 2 months, still kicks in games but i know her time is limited now :p plus i've started having some compatibility problems so its time for a change.

Allright enough talk so far this is my planned options

Already owned units

XFX PRO650W Core Edition
GTX560 1gb ( im planning on upgrading after probably 700 series)
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB

So now with the parts i need lol

CPU
RAM
MOTHERBOARD
CPU COOLER

Budget Ching ching: 600$ (i could expand later)

I've been checking out the G1 Sniper 3 and the Maximus V formula as one of the "high endish" alternatives. i want to get something that has upgradability since ill probably will be sticking with this build for a while >_< but im open to suggestions.

As for the CPU im probably will get the i5-3570K , ive read is a bang for the buck, probably for my field the i7 3770k would be better but the budget is a limiting factor right now :(

and for the ram im clueless lol well not really but i only have one option so far :/

Corsair Vengeance(CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

and last but not least the CPU Cooler which im probably going to end up buying after but im looking for a good one anyways. but ive heard some horror stories so im even more lost there lol.

so in conclusion i got my eye on but undecided:

-Intel Core i5-3570K

-GIGABYTE G1 Sniper 3
-ASUS Maximus V Formula
-ASUS P8z77 Deluxe

-GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
-ASUS P8z77 Pro

-Corsair Vengeance(CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

UPDATE:
/////////////////////

So far i got this for options

CPU: So i7-3770k it is :D , Ill make more use to it in my field, so that is set on stone.
RAM:Ram ill get wichever either Patriot or Gskill
CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER 212 EVO OR HYPER 212 PLUS (whichever is available at the time lol )

MOBO ALERT! >_<

BUT! the motherboard! im not yet convinced by Asrock :S the card does look nice, and seems quite feature rich but, some people report problems with them, sudden death, blue screens, reboots and stuff like that. so i wonder which brand usually has the best long term reliability, i don't want to be dealing with RMA in a month or 3 months so something like that ( im clear that there is a risk of getting a bad mobo anytime but thats a given)

oh BTW im going with a full-tower case, Either CM Storm Trooper ( cheaper) or Corsair 800D ( if i nail a good job) *wishfully* either the new 900D or COSMOS II ( dont know why i like this case) lol

Last edited:
So you have $600 to spend on part right?, here're my pick, see what you think?

Intel core i5 3570k =$225
Asus sabertooth z77=$240 (the toughest mobo on the street)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ddr3 1600mhz=$50
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO=$35

All of this are Amazon price and free shipping

My other choice fro ram are
Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series Venom Red DDR3 8GB 1866MHz=$52(lifetime warranty)

No Z77 board is more upgradeable than the other, they all support the same CPUs.

The Sabertooth is overpriced and a ton of marketing BS. It's no better than the ASUS P8Z77-V series. Overclocking is much different with modern CPUs...having a high end motherboard just doesn't make anything better or easier anymore.

Since you're a graphic designer, you need a bit more CPU horsepower and RAM than the average gamer.

Capture.PNG

@ ASUS ROG

so far from your selection i don't like the z77 Sabertooth, it was one of my first at glance choices at first but i've been seeing reviews and benchmarks, and it doesn't seem to be that good for the price.

And im going to check out the Patriot memory
ty!

@Knufire

As for upgradability i meant on the ram and videocards, since i dont usually upgrade CPU often :p

I im liking your setup, just not much the motherboard :( but i guess i should get the
i7 3770k and definelty 16gb of ram the more the better for my field.

how are the Asrock related to reliabilty? ive omitted asrocks becuase they dont seem to be as reliable as "ASUS or Gigabyte" as far as on other forums say. So if anyone got personal experience with them let me know what you think

I've used several of them, never had any issues. Never had motherboard issues period though, so maybe I'm just lucky xD.

ASRock was the OEM division of ASUS that split and became their own company.

Im checking the Asrock motherboards right now, which ram is better

Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series 16G
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

I'd get the Ripjaws, since you get $14 off on the combo deal with the CPU. RAM is RAM...they're not that different. ;)

Sabertooth is such a gimmick and a ripoff.. hate that board... (sorry that is all I have to add, good choice OP).

+1 to Asrock boards. ;)

@ EarthDog
LOL yeah i ditched sabertooth after reading reviews and finding that its a gimmick, it just kinda looked cool, sadly cool is not good enough :( (I dont know why i find the G1 Sniper 3 pretty, seems like agood card) IF i had more budget wich would be beter adquisition G1Sniper3 or Maximus V Formula (i read the soundcard sucks).

Neither really...motherboards don't have a direct benefit on performance and 95% of people will never need a higher end board than the Extreme4. Put the money towards a SSD or your new GPU, it's more worth it.

Its a good board, the sabertooth, but for that same money, there are a lot better boards (MSI Mpower, Asrock OCFormula), but you dont need them. Wanting them is fine after being told what they are and what they are primarily for...

For your uses with an increased budget, get the gaming board, the G1 Sniper3.

I'd agree the i7-3770k is the way to go for what your doing and the CM 212 is a great air cooler.
I'd put in my vote for the ASRock motherboard, I've got the Extreme 4 and built a few systems for friends with that board all with good results.

For a tight budget, shop around check multiple sites for the best price, try to use sites that avoid sales tax. Watch for rebates (they can save you a surprising amount), consider using a click though cash back site, I've commonly seen 5-10% cash back with tigerdirect and it adds up.

Do you have a microcenter nearby? They have some of the best deals on CPU/motherboard combos.
- newegg, tigerdirect and amazon and a few of the larger parts retailers

I would doubly reccomend the CM 212. It's really amazing.

I still don't quite know the difference between the 212 EVO and Plus but either way add a second fan and its really killer.

Culbrelai , hows the Cosmos II? overkill :p man that case is so sexy <3 and the 900D damn! Well smother base is better, so ill go with the EVO version, the thing that freaks me out about Asrock cards, they do look sweet on the reviews, but the amount of user reviews on the site with BENT PINS, DEAD RAM SLOTS, DOA scares the crap out of me lol

I friggin love the Cosmos II, its so big and has like 15 fan slots, you can even stack them in the top bezel, if you have 3 120mm fans mounted below, hanging inside of the case, you can mount two 140mms above it because obviously they use different holes.

Its got a lot of possibility. I like the 900d too, and Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra.

If you plan on upgrading and adding more and more to your system like I am planning on, then a big case is not a mistake at all.

Really the only con of Cosmos IIs and other big cases (larger than Full Tower) is that PSU cables may not be long enough to reach extremes of your case, like HDDs or ODDs mounted toward the front of your case while the PSU is in the back.

I don't know much about Asrock, nor do I know why literally everyone here recommends them. They say not to trust NewEgg reviews. Remember while motherboards may not count much for overclocking already unlocked processors they are the core of your system and it is in my opinion that you should invest in the core of your system the most so it lasts the longest. Other parts can be replaced rather easily, but if your mobo dies, then you've got to take everything out, etc.

MSI Mpower vs Asrock Extreme4? which would you guys recommend?

MPOwer. Those two boards are in a completely different class though. I wouldnt get the MPower unless you are benchmarking. Extreme4 or 6 are both fine boards. If you plan on pushing the limits for 24/7 however, Ex6 is a better board than the 4.

I don't know much about Asrock, nor do I know why literally everyone here recommends them. They say not to trust NewEgg reviews. Remember while motherboards may not count much for overclocking already unlocked processors they are the core of your system and it is in my opinion that you should invest in the core of your system the most so it lasts the longest. Other parts can be replaced rather easily, but if your mobo dies, then you've got to take everything out, etc.
Agree(ish). Its simple. They are one of the best 'bang for your buck boards'. It has plenty of uumph on the power side to handle 90% of people's overclocks and is a quality brand. Newegg reviews are not to be trusted for the most part... to me, I only look at DOA's. What is the point in buying a $200 board when a $130 board just the job just as well? I work hard for my money, you?

Last edited:
well im leaning towards the AsRock :D, hopefully everything will work allright haha, the Extreme 4 seems to have a problem fitting the CM Hyperm 212 EVO, conflicting with the ram space or something, do you guys have any personal experience with it?

and the other little thing is the case is a CM Storm Trooper, would the Extreme 4 being 1 inch shorter complicate in any way installing it the case? :D

Back