• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building Server after Opteron 6200 arrives - Motherboard options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someinterwebguy

So once AMD releases the 16-core server cpu's, I'm looking at building either a dual-socket, or possibly a quad-socket server.

Two questions:

1) Those of you with experience with server motherboards, are there any manufacturers that stand out in the server world?

2) Same question with regards to cases. I REALLY like Silverstone cases, but am open to suggestions.

Any and all input is appreciated. :)

I am looking for the same thing you are.

1) SuperMicro and Tyan. These won't have overclocking options at all, so I'm waiting to see if there are other vendors that will create overclockable ones (Asus, etc).

2) Any case that will take a eATX should work fine.

I am looking for the same thing you are.

1) SuperMicro and Tyan. These won't have overclocking options at all, so I'm waiting to see if there are other vendors that will create overclockable ones (Asus, etc).

2) Any case that will take a eATX should work fine.

I'm really tempted to get a quad-socket motherboard, but that will limit my choices even further. Not to mention that each CPU will be ~$850.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011072401_Several_Opteron_6200_CPUs_sighted.html

What I'm looking to do, is run Linux (still deciding on Distro - I LOVE Linux Mint, so I'll try that first) and then use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 x64.

I'm also tempted by Hypervisor's and am looking at trying that out as well.

What is it that you are going to do that you plan on needing that many cores? for 99.9% of the applications out there the only one that makes any sense to me is virtualization. And if your going to do that, and it is a server I see no reason not to use ESXi, XEN, or even HyperV. All three of which are available for free.

As for the mobo, I would stick with Tyan. I've built ~ 50 servers. I've used normal consumer products as well as more server grade stuff such as Tyan's products. If budget allows then they are what I suggest.

I've used SuperMicro twice and both times found things I didn't like. They worked, but I didn't care for placement or bios options etc.

Their cases seems to be pretty good for being cheap.

If it is a desktop system, you don't want a bare metal hypervisor. You can't view any of the virtual machines from the console.

OP: Remember that going with a quad socket board is going to require a custom/expensive case, in addition to the high cost for the motherboard and processors.

What is it that you are going to do that you plan on needing that many cores? for 99.9% of the applications out there the only one that makes any sense to me is virtualization. And if your going to do that, and it is a server I see no reason not to use ESXi, XEN, or even HyperV. All three of which are available for free.

As for the mobo, I would stick with Tyan. I've built ~ 50 servers. I've used normal consumer products as well as more server grade stuff such as Tyan's products. If budget allows then they are what I suggest.

I've used SuperMicro twice and both times found things I didn't like. They worked, but I didn't care for placement or bios options etc.

Their cases seems to be pretty good for being cheap.

Budget for this project is Carte Blanche at this point. My friend that I built several desktop systems for (and partially paid me by buying me an ASUS Transformer) is looking into a server/virtualization to take the place of several independent machines.

If it is a desktop system, you don't want a bare metal hypervisor. You can't view any of the virtual machines from the console.

OP: Remember that going with a quad socket board is going to require a custom/expensive case, in addition to the high cost for the motherboard and processors.

Good point - Dual socket it is. I noticed a dearth of options with regards to quad socket boards (for current generation Opterons), but I figured I'd ask anyway - quad socket appears to be more trouble than it's worth in this case.

Thanks to both of you!

Back