• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buildling new rig, need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm i'm kind of confused... So if i run 2 8800 on SLi, wouldn't i be able to run 3 monitors out of the triplehead2go which only uses 1 output from the video card?

hmm i'm kind of confused... So if i run 2 8800 on SLi, wouldn't i be able to run 3 monitors out of the triplehead2go which only uses 1 output from the video card?

yes you can, but you will get 1 extra wide picture across 3 monitors. kind of like having 1 super duper extra wide monitor.

It wont be like having actual 3 separate screens.

Last edited:
This discussion about SLI is moot if you get the Asus P5K, since it don't support SLI. You can run 2 monitors from 1 card.

This discussion about SLI is moot if you get the Asus P5K, since it don't support SLI. You can run 2 monitors from 1 card.

oh man, good thing you pointed that out. SLI is a completely new concept for me. I didn't even notice the MB didn't support it :bang head. I'm actually considering running SLI in the future, if my assumptions are correct about the triplehead2go. If i will indeed be able to run 3 monitors through the triplehead2go using 1 output from the gfx card.

I am still trying to familiarize myself with the abilities and features of all the latest parts. What would you guys say would be 1 of the better motherboards out there. Initially i just stuck with ASUS because it has been a brand i've known and used before in the past. But after looking at other brands i am reconsidering. Is there a "best" brand? or "best" motherboard to get? My goal is just to build a really good and up to date system where it would have the ability for any future upgrades and stuff.

I plan on overclocking this rig, i just read up on, and think i might buy, a CoolIT SYSTEMS EL-1000 Eliminator Thermoelectric CPU Cooler. At first, i did not want to take the water cooling route, because i don't want to put up with the supposedly high maintenance of water cooling. I have never tried WC, it is just based on what i read about WCing. After coming across a review at tomshardware on the coolit systems, i'm considering getting this thing, so i can experiment with OCing to a higher degree. What do you guys think about this cpu cooler?

Ok, after some research, i think i have a better understanding of the MBs. SLI would require a board with a chipset that supports SLI. But p35 boards are more popular and expensive because they are newer and better at OCing. I saw a couple of recommendations on this DFI board. THink i might get this one.

Another thing i realized is that the triplehead2go does not support the resolution i want. So i think i will just run 2 monitors for now and maybe add another vid card later on for another 1 or 2 screens.

Back