• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burried Radiator writeup/results! PICS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there is lots of things to try yet. i am seeing a small fluctuation in temps now. during the day i am seeing 32 and @ night I see 31. While 1 degree could be from room temps i am suspecting it is the 1.5 gallon resivior that is uninsulated outside the window. I plan on insulating it as soon as i can. I also plan on borrowing the back hoe from work and digging a much greater depth hole..say maybe to 8 foot. surely i should be into the zone that would be the most stable year round. as far as rust...I don't rightly think rust can form on alluminum and copper.
the alluminum is on the outside of the copper pipe. They are the fins they are not solderd or anyting to the copper pipe it's just a friction fit..rather snug too. I would suspect however that if I had say an 8 inch copper pipe it would work as well as this 1 inch finned copper pipe. I scorred about 12 foot of 1 inch copper pipe today and I want to buy a tube bender and replace they vynil lines with this copper. i have yet to make my "window box" for my exhaust fans ( I am a smoker). this has been a very interesting experiment and so far I am pleased.. maybe hoho clause as my three year old puts it will bring me some decent ram so I can push this chip back up to 2.8 Mhz. No new photos to share currently with my new job I have very little time that can be spent on my hobbies :'(

deathBOB said:
Anyways, Do you think it would help if you bury it lower? Also: Why not make two loops, one with a small pump and block and the other with the big pump and the radiator and then let them combine in a mixing tank?

as mentioned here I do plan on a secondary loop..maybe useing my ehim 1240 to cool things such as my NB and power mofsets..not sure if the pump will actually pump that high..maybe with 1/4 inch ID tubing..I am stillw orking on my waterblocks for that project..time is the problem the holidays eat so much of them.

I also do plan on going deeper and useing sand around the radiator..in fact I might just pick up another radiator so I won't have to dig up the other one..lazy i know.

Ven0m said:
Sounds like overkill :]
Central heating pumps are pretty good such rigs tho. Sealing would also be problematic - high pressure

overkill? whats that mean...is there such a thing? :)

I have a high pressure pump it is used to pump water thru cieling water sprinkler system..VERY VERY HIGH PRESSURE! I don't think my RBX blocks or my tubing would handle the pressurewould be interesting to test one of cathars new waterblocks with extream pressure though wouldn't it?

FizzledFiend said:
maybe hoho clause as my three year old puts it

Awww, how cute :p . Very nice job FF! If you do end up digging a 8 foot hole, and use that copper pipe, are you going to solder the pipe to the rad or braze it or what? I can't wait to see more pics. Should turn out great!

I would think that the rad buried at 8" you would get a small problem with moisture on the alum. fins and the copper, that battery thing that occurs with alum and copper in regular H2O systems. I am not sure if there is some sort of sacrificial anode thing you could bury in with the alum. but that may help it to last longer. I would think whether or not there is acid rain to worry about so much as the constant changing dry and wet cycles there would be considerable corrosion. If deeper than 8" that would be not a real problem to consider.

jamesavery22 said:
OH, NY, and PA seem to have it the worst from that map.

[Ralph Wiggem] Daddy this rain tastes like burning[/Ralph] Goodie.. Im in that wonderful zone :D

Very cool idea and nice writeup/pics. Id try it but im on the second floor with a garage under me and a driveway out my window. Cant afford a good enough pump to move it to a suitable area on the ground but if I ever got the chance ide use this as a guide.

JT

pretty good looking...

but what about tossing a few of these in a currently used septic tank? no, i owuldn't do that, but that (and the associated drain field) occupies all of the area i can place a radiator, or even a run of copper, in my back yard... not to mention that my computer faces and is nearest an interior wall...

if i ever build the house i want, i'll incorperate all sorts of things like this into the design... overkill on the electrics, line the inside of the house with lead (between the outer wall and the inner wall), and double block all of the outer walls... mmm, that would be great...

now i gotta find me SOMEWHERE in the yard i can bury something like this for my next system... threads like this are inspiration to people that have no money (AKA: salvagers)

The moment I saw that, I instantly thought about submerging the rad in to some sort of tank with liquid coolant & then burying it. Hell if ur going for overkill no use in cutting corners?

Last edited:
Back