• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bus speed and bandwidth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Morning ladies (?) and gentlemen,

Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me?

How is the bandwidth calculated when we have a given bus speed, frequency and vram type?

And is there any mean for "monitoring" the so call bandwidth?

Thank you, seached last night and could not fnd a clear explanation.

Bandwidth is simply transfer rate * bus width. Type doesn't matter. The only tricky part is getting the right transfer rate, like DDR ram, you can do multiple transfers per clock.

On nvidia GPUs, if you fire up the monitoring tab of GPU-Z, there is "Memory Controller Load" reported. You might want to check the exact definition of what it shows depending on your use case. It is fine at a glance to see if it is heavily in use or not which is the limit of my usage.

If you have a full version of 3DMark then there is a PCIe bus bandwidth benchmark. Well, it's good for graphics cards only, but this is what most users need to check if their cards run at the optimal PCIe settings.
Hwinfo64 shows bandwidth of various devices. It depends on what you need.

If you have a full version of 3DMark then there is a PCIe bus bandwidth benchmark. Well, it's good for graphics cards only, but this is what most users need to check if their cards run at the optimal PCIe settings.
Hwinfo64 shows bandwidth of various devices. It depends on what you need.
Thanks Woo👌

Which bandwidth do you want to measure? I took it to be VRAM bandwidth given the preceding question. If it is PCIe bandwidth, you can also look at "Bus Interface Load" on GPU-Z.

Back