• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy 580 or keep the 6970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eerazer

Registered
I use a crossfire system with 2x, XFX 6970's (one of which I just sold because of the compatibility issues and driver support)

So I am left with one 6970, and while the performance is nice, I was looking at the Asus Matrix GTX 580, as I do believe a single card solution is where it's at if you don't need to push anything above 60 fps (60Hz monitor) (also I love the Republic of Gamers hardware)

So I was wondering if it's worth it. I use 8GB 1333Mhz, Asus Crosshair V Formula and an 1100T.

Is it much of a performance upgrade compared to a 6970, (questionable - especially for the price tag, hence why I am asking your opinion on this too.)

And the 600 series is a few months away, however I believe those chips will start at the low end performance wise, similar to to GT 520 did with this generation of Fermi. I read it would take till the year's end of 2012 before we start to see something similar, or better performance wise comparable to the 580. (single gpu wise)

What would you do?

I use a crossfire system with 2x, XFX 6970's (one of which I just sold because of the compatibility issues and driver support)

So I am left with one 6970, and while the performance is nice, I was looking at the Asus Matrix GTX 580, as I do believe a single card solution is where it's at if you don't need to push anything above 60 fps (60Hz monitor) (also I love the Republic of Gamers hardware)

So I was wondering if it's worth it. I use 8GB 1333Mhz, Asus Crosshair V Formula and an 1100T.

Is it much of a performance upgrade compared to a 6970, (questionable - especially for the price tag, hence why I am asking your opinion on this too.)

And the 600 series is a few months away, however I believe those chips will start at the low end performance wise, similar to to GT 520 did with this generation of Fermi. I read it would take till the year's end of 2012 before we start to see something similar, or better performance wise comparable to the 580. (single gpu wise)

What would you do?

First :welcome:

As for the supposed "leak" you're talking about, even if you take their info at face value the first released chip in Q2 Kepler is the GK104 which is not a GT520 equivalent chip it is a GTX 560 Ti equivalent; that is an enormous difference. One is a low end chip (which incidently has already been released on laptops) and the other is expected to be their "performance" card meaning high end mainstream (the money maker). The GTX580 and the 595 are considered "enthusiast" parts because only a small fraction of people buy them. That is the part that is delayed, not their mainstream chip.

Most rumors put Tahiti at about 30% faster than the HD6970 and honestly speaking even if it does end up being the GK104 in Q2 it is likely to be faster than Tahiti. Even if it is only their "performance" part as the 560TI is very very close to the HD6970 in many games.

What I would do? Wait to see Kepler or at a minimum Tahiti

Last edited:
Back