• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy mobo or wait for PCI eXpress 3.0 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alegelos

I am plaing to buy a am3+ mobo right now. But i saw there are some mobos with PCI X 3.0, but none for AMD yet. Will they come with the 990 chip? or maybe next generation?

i am lost here... not sure if buy mobo 990 with PCI X 2.0 or wait for a possible 990 with PCI X 3.0 ........

Have seen a few previews of PCI-3.0 and so far it is nothing to shout about. Probably you could survive thru a full system buying cycle before PCI-3.0 is very useful.

@alegelos, I doubt that pcie 3.0 will change much. Most 990 boards have lot of pcie lines for 3-4 gfx cards and if there is no difference in daily use between pcie x8 and x16 then there won't be between pcie 2.0 and 3.0. Other thing is that I doubt that you need new board now. Better wait some time and pick something more mature with already fixed bios etc. Now some 990 users are complaining for huge vdrop and other things. Maybe it's just matter of new bios or new features of bulldozer that will work only with new cpus, hard to say. 990 is almost the same as 890 so I think that pcie 3.0 will be in next gen.

@alegelos, I doubt that pcie 3.0 will change much. Most 990 boards have lot of pcie lines for 3-4 gfx cards and if there is no difference in daily use between pcie x8 and x16 then there won't be between pcie 2.0 and 3.0. Other thing is that I doubt that you need new board now. Better wait some time and pick something more mature with already fixed bios etc. Now some 990 users are complaining for huge vdrop and other things. Maybe it's just matter of new bios or new features of bulldozer that will work only with new cpus, hard to say. 990 is almost the same as 890 so I think that pcie 3.0 will be in next gen.

i will think about it. I guess i will buy a 890fx cheap and used board.
Thanks

As far as I am aware very few graphics cards come close to using the full bus capable of PCI-E 2.0, I highly doubt many would take advantage of 3.0, if any, for quite some time.

Back