• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a 6800GT: which brand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RisingPhoenix

Registered
I will be buying a GeForce 6800GT soon to replace my GeForce 4MX. I'm looking mainly on NewEgg (was looking at eBay, but I don't want to risk it), and have found a few cards that are AGP 8x with 256MB. I specifically want this kind of card, but I don't know which brands are good. The choices at the moment (on NewEgg) are MSI, eVGA, ELSA, and XFX. I've heard a lot of people put down XFX, I've never heard of ELSA, heard many good things about eVGA, and mainly positive about MSI. I read somewhere that ASUS uses custom drivers that often crash. I'm sure there are choices elsewhere; I just want to know which brand is good on performance and price. I wouldn't mind buying a cooling fan if it's necessary. Just don't want to spend more than $375 (since that MSI seems to be the highest price). eVGA seems like my best shot though. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Since most companies don't vary a whole lot (or any at all) from the Nvidia reference design then any of the four cards should perform the same and OC will be dependent more on luck of the draw than anything else.

If noise is a factor, you might research the various coolers used and see if any of them are going to be too loud for your tastes.

You might also consider the warranties provided with each card. I know they'll probably be pretty similiar on paper, but a quick search of turn around times for RMAs or any troubles others have had with RMAs would be beneficial.

If neither of those seems to be a factor then I would just get the cheapest one. Like I said before they all use the Nvidia reference design so performance should be about the same on all of them and overclocking will be more "luck of the draw" than anything else. I'm current using an XFX card and I'm pleased with it.

I suppose it's final then. I shall go with eVGA. Seems as if a lot of people like them just from the amount of reviews on Newegg.com 177 reviews for the eVGA 6800GT, while the MSI 6800GT has 15 reviews and the second highest :p Thanks you all, and thanks for everything scottinindy. You're basically helping me build my computer step-by-step, lol.

RisingPhoenix said:
I suppose it's final then. I shall go with eVGA. Seems as if a lot of people like them just from the amount of reviews on Newegg.com 177 reviews for the eVGA 6800GT, while the MSI 6800GT has 15 reviews and the second highest :p Thanks you all, and thanks for everything scottinindy. You're basically helping me build my computer step-by-step, lol.

For the past week I have tenaciously researching which video card would be my best option for an AGP slot.Now,if you dont have a high-powered CPU,then its pointless to buy a video card where the bottleneck will be the CPU.If you have a good CPU that will not hold the card back as much,then it seems,from what I have read,that the eVGA 6800 GT is the best deal available.Zipzoomfly has them with a $30 MIR if you order before the end of June.I just ordered my eVGA 6800 GT a few hours earlier

RisingPhoenix said:

I'm sure no expert, I just try to do a lot of research and I try to pass along the findings as I go if it will help. Hope you enjoy this site, Good bunch of people that you can count on for good, Straight forward information. Hope you come around often.

Now there are a couple of other good options. Newegg just put up a MSI 6800GT, and the Leadtek 6800GT came back up. Now my main choices are: MSI, eVGA, and Leadtek. Leadtek: $284, good heatsink. eVGA: $309, not so good cooling, although I don't mind buying another. Also heard that the company has a good trade-up thingy. The card supposedly OCs good, too. And finally MSI, for about $364, $314 with a $50 rebate. Haven't heard too much about them though. Comments, suggestions, and mainly reasons why I should buy a specific card. You know, "backup".

Another option is the XFX for $290. It features Dual DVI outputs, and is slightly cheaper than the competition.

Up until now I have alsways purchased eVGA cards. For my 6800GT PCI-E I bought the XFX card, and I am extremely happy with it. I game A LOT and it has never crashed or frozen on me. I also have it OC'd from stock of 350/1.0 to 410/1.15 with no stability problems and using stock cooling. The dual DVI is also a nice feature for dual displays.

Just food for thought for ya. I'm actually planning to buy another identical card in the near future and rig up a little SLI, cash permitting of course.

Last edited:
the leadtek is the best card i think out of the gts cause of its massive heatsink but it does need more fins for the ram what im about to do is afix some copper ramsinks on it to see if it cools it a little better but i say leadtek cause of the massive copper heatsink

Back