• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a prebuilt computer then upgrading it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imtehphilip

I was thinking of buying this because I went on pc part picker and since I didn't see the brands on the parts on the hp website, I picked one the cheaper ones that matched the items. (ex. prebuilt computer has 8gb ram 1 stick and on pc aprt picker I picked the cheapest one stick of 8gb) and I picked most of the parts of the computer on pc part picker and it cost more than buying the prebuilt one on the hp website.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ps/hp-pavilion-500qe-desktop-k6v69av-aba-1--1

with
i7-4790 cpu
memphis2 motherboard (uATX)
8GB ram
1TB hardrive
Intel HD graphics
windows 8.1
300 w power supply

then
replacing the video card with a EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
and
replacing the power supply with
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I was wondering how viable the build is and would the GTX 750 Ti work with the memphis2 motherboard.
More about : buying upgrading parts
I'll be using this computer for programming and gaming

This...this isn't the way of going about doing it... :)

What is your budget and what are your intended uses of this PC?

To confirm, you need to buy windows with that budget?
Do you plan on overclocking at all?

What games and programming language mate. Running PERL or Assembly? Playing dota or GTA 5? To give you the best suggestion, it's best if we know what games and programs youre looking at running. Off the cuff, a 4790 paired with a 750 ti seems a bit on the "extreme" side of mismatching. Also leads me to believe youre a casual gamer and more serious about your programming as well.

Also leads me to believe youre a casual gamer and more serious about your programming as well.

Just my interpretation, he did say "for programming and some gaming".
That'd lead me to believe programming primarily, but likes to play some games on the side.

I dont know jack about programming minus some classes I took 6-7 years ago; but would it require 8 threaded performance? Sounds like a great build to go for an i5 solution off the cuff.

Depends what programming exactly, but there's definitely use for multiple threads in plenty of types of programming.
And every generation shifts more toward multi-threaded it seems.

Prebuilt computers made by the big mass producers like HP, Lenov, Acer, Dell, etc. can be very proprietary and may not be physically compatible with aftermarket motherboards. Usually, the I/O ports are in the wrong position. Also, they often use a proprietary block connector for the front panel wire harness.

Back