• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying new Motherboard, CPU and Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bean7654

Registered
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not to computers. Its been awhile since I bought or built anything. I was hoping someone could just double check and make sure the items im about to purchase from Newegg will play nice together.

Click Me AMD FX-8120
Click Me GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3
Click Me G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!!

Any reason you're going with Bulldozer? The Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs perform significantly better.

No particular reason. I just always had AMD with no problems so I decided to just stick with it. And then just started browsing Newegg for something decent and decently priced. I don't do any gaming. Just normal usage, internet, music, some minor photo and music editing and some other small tasks. From what I have gathered from reviews and a weekend of browsing this seems to be a decent setup and has all the connections I need which is what my current HP, that died, has.

If you think this wont work or is there is better option that is equivalent and priced good, not looking to spend much more then 300-400 bucks, let me know.

Thanks!

It will work, but an Intel rig is a better option.

Intel 2500k: +/- $200
Asrock Z77 Extreme3: +/- $130
2x4GB DDR3, any brand :+/- $45

If you're just doing that, a FX-8120 is crazy overkill. I'd say grab an AMD A8-3850, or a 3870K if you're interested in overclocking. Those APUs are made exactly for your kind of purpose.

16GB of RAM too? That's a bit much...

Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 6.15.34 PM.png

Last edited:
If you're just doing that, a FX-8120 is crazy overkill. I'd say grab an AMD A8-3850, or a 3870K if you're interested in overclocking. Those APUs are made exactly for your kind of purpose.

16GB of RAM too? That's a bit much...

View attachment 111049

I was thinking it was a bit much but i was thinking for a few more bucks i would be set for the future. I was looking at the FM1's but wasnt sure. Also it needs to be a mircoATX board.

I toned it down a bit. Does it look better? The board pretty much has was im looking for and the PSU seems to be decent for the price and should be more then enough. What do you guys think? Will it work ok....

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 55
I mean, the 3850 is essentially a Phenom II X4 with no L3 cache and a MUCH more powerful integrated GPU than the 880G. You can also Hybrid Crossfire it with a 6670 and get pretty decent mid-range gaming performance. Simply put, nothing can beat the computing power of an A8 for the money.

Also, you're planning to run a 100-125W processor and nothing else of significant power draw. Worst case scenario is like 175-200W. No need for the extra TIM either, AS5 is outdated tech anyway.

Capture.JPG

I mean, the 3850 is essentially a Phenom II X4 with no L3 cache and a MUCH more powerful integrated GPU than the 880G. You can also Hybrid Crossfire it with a 6670 and get pretty decent mid-range gaming performance. Simply put, nothing can beat the computing power of an A8 for the money.

Also, you're planning to run a 100-125W processor and nothing else of significant power draw. Worst case scenario is like 175-200W. No need for the extra TIM either, AS5 is outdated tech anyway.

View attachment 111062

I know that I need separate rear and center audio outputs which the board does not have and I dont think this board has enough USB headers. I have card read, front usb, wireless adapter currently. I only saw 2.

Thanks for your help, its im starting to lose my mind with all the options out there!

I know that I need separate rear and center audio outputs which the board does not have and I dont think this board has enough USB headers. I have card read, front usb, wireless adapter currently. I only saw 2.

Just need to ask :). This motherboard have all the features you need?

Screen Shot 2012-06-04 at 1.11.22 AM.png

Might I suggest this?

newegg2.jpg

The first site I found that ranked both the 965 and the 3450 is this one, where the 3450 is ranked 66th, while the 965 is ranked 181st.

Last edited:
I don't do any gaming. Just normal usage, internet, music, some minor photo and music editing and some other small tasks.

This is why I'm confused that people keep recommending overly powerful equipment...Ivy Bridge isn't necessary..

What sort of music and photo editing? Photoshop and Pro Tools? How large are your files? I do a decent amount of photoshop on my laptop (Sandy Bridge), and I'm sometimes finding myself wanting a little more horsepower. For music editing, faster CPU = faster rendering when you apply a filter, or less choppiness when you have lots of synths going.

I mean, if he's using it significantly, then he's going to want horsepower. He said minor though, so I assumed just amateur stuff/nothing intensive.

I only do minor editing in Photoshop and its isn't often same with the music.

Both setups look to suit my needs but the prices don't make sense for what you getting

Lonewolf's setup is approximately ~410 bucks when you add a power supply.
Knufire's setup is about ~280 with shipping.
My setup come to around ~295 with rebates and shipping, i also changed it to one set of 2g mem.

My question is, since I guess I don't know that much about all this, for a 15 dollar difference would you still choose the FM1 setup or mine with the PhenomIIx4. I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Phenom and I can always upgrade the cpu and mem if I choose to. Just seems like a good price and a decent setup, or the the FM1 "better" then the AM3 setup in your opinion? what do you guys think? Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

I think the FM1 is better. CPU horsepower, it's ever so slightly slower than the Phenom II X4 (it's essentially an Athlon II X4, which is a Phenom II X4 with no L3 cache). However, the integrated GPU on the FM1 is MUCH more powerful than the integrated GPU on the 880G.

Looks good to me! That's the 3870K, it's OCable too :).

Awesome! I think we have a winner. Here is the final cart with mem and PSU. I checked the ASUS site and it says its qualified mem for brd. You see any issues?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 43
Memory QVL list don't really mean anything. Just get the combo with the 500CX and the Corsair Vengeance, it's a few bucks cheaper.

Back