• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying RAM, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snagglebot

Registered
I planned on picking up some G.Skill extreme pc3200 GH, but the stuff is backordered, expensive, and if it's not, they don't ship to Canada. =(
So I decided to look at other options. I've read all the stickies many times over, but could still use some practical advice from people who have been knee deep in this. I was deciding between UTT and TCCD, chosing UTT as i've read I can obtain a higher LDT @ lower timings with enough juice. If TCCD can run equally, that's a bonus cause of the lower volts, but again, could use some advice here. My rig is coming together like this:

Purchased
DFI NF4 UT SLI-D
OCZ Powerstream 520W
Opteron 165

Pending
The RAM
HDD

Now, off the bat i'll say I want to hit 300@1:1. Obviously, the lower the timings the better, say something like 2.5-3-3-6. That said, what are my options?
I was looking at the OCZ VX series, but the reviews i've read say they top out around 265-270, ragardless of vdimm increases. Also, the Platinum r2's seem nice, just not sure if they'll scale up that high.
And the biggie, the $$$. I'd like to keep the under $300CAD, so like $250USD, tax in.
Post the hell outta this one.

Edit: If you must have 300MHz then I would get either the OCZ Plat Rev. 2 or Crucial Ballistix. Saying that you are willing to spend $250 I would get these.

Last edited:
Those are some awsome sticks too but they look a little on the high side even though you have a limit of $250. The TCCD will do 300MHz with timings of 2.5-4-4-10 and the Crucial Ballistix (5B G) can do 300MHz with timings of 3-3-3-6. The Ballistix are my favorite because they have the widest range of timings/bandwidth.

Yes they are really good sticks and under rated. They run hotter than TCCD so you will need some kind of active cooling for them because they run 2.8v at stock and around 3.0v at 300MHz. They get hot at 2.8v too so I would get active cooling regardless.

If you plan on using the rig for stuff other than benching you should prob consider 2 gigs. 2 gigs even at DDR500 3-4-4 will be a noticable difference over 1 gig at any speed/timing. You can get 2 gigs of UCCC for <$300 CAD. Link

Eldonko said:
If you plan on using the rig for stuff other than benching you should prob consider 2 gigs. 2 gigs even at DDR500 3-4-4 will be a noticable difference over 1 gig at any speed/timing. You can get 2 gigs of UCCC for <$300 CAD. Link

I don't really plan on benching all too much...of course, a few times during initial setup. I mainly do a lot of multitasking, and am trying to get the "best bang for my buck". Sometimes, like now, i'm just websurfing, but it's not uncommon for me to be downloading from usenet, extracting multiple files, websurfing and working in photoshop simultaniously.
I've given some thought to going 2gb, but the low frequencies and high timings kept me away. Those Mushkin's look decent though. At DDR500 out of the box, they could probably be tweaked to 550...

EDIT - Is there a difference between the Crucial Ballistix and Ballistix Tracers? (execpt for the led's)? I'd rather ot pay extra for blinking lights.

Last edited:
I'll see what they cost, along with availability in Canada.
After looking at the Muskin Black's that eldonko posted, i'm kind of thinking about going w/ 2gb now. After all, i've heard Vista is going to be a ram hog.

The Blacks go for $280 (2x1gb) @ DDR500 3-4-3-8
The Redlines go for over $400 (2x1gb) @ DDR500 3-3-2-8

I could either get the 2gb of Black, or 1gb Redline module, and get another later if they are vastly superior, which i will continue to look into...

If I go 1gb, Crucial will probably win my vote due to avalanche selling me =)

Ha :). There is alot of people with TCCD in DRAM stable settings database at the top of the page that does 300MHz. I'm the only one that has posted there using 5B-G. I don't know why more people don't get this ram.

The best is Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb sticks too, but is a little out of your price range. After that any UCCC should do about the same like 270MHz or so.

snagglebot said:
what do make of the Redlines w/ the Infinion chips?
The Redlines will get you similar speeds with slightly tighter timings 2.5-3-2 vs. 3-4-4. The performance difference is small but there is a difference. Whether or not the timings are worth the $$, it's up to you. :)

OK....last question =)

I read in the recommended modules sticky that Buffalo pc3200 1gb sticks come with Micron chips, rev. D. Since these are the same chips run in the Ballistix pc4000, can i still expect a similar OC? I only say this cause TD has them for cheap. Check them out here.

Back