• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C1 stepping Preslers in retail stream?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenmaji said:
The later b1's did pretty good, not too many people bought them though, C2D was comming ;)

what week B1s are good? mine is april 18th, my motherboard can't overclock it.

Pirate_Freder said:
waiiiit...the e6300 and e6400 are almost as cheap as the pentium d's, they have a slower stock speed but don't they still have a high enough multiplier to oc way better than the D series. this is only one places prices too(cause i have a $75 gift certificate there :D..cheap conroe maybe)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2396&
with a $75 gift certificate i would say get the 6400, get the higher multi for just in case.

...dang it. e6400 sounds good butttt, i just realized only has 2mb of total cache, 1mb per core :(, still good but i iunno if i wanna go back to small cache.

benbaked said:
what week B1s are good? mine is april 18th, my motherboard can't overclock it.

the ones selling about the time the news of C1's, fishy and crimedog bought about that time..

And if Im not mistaking.. isnt that an ECS mobo your trying to OC your 930D on? That just MIGHT be the problem.

Pirate_Freder said:
...dang it. e6400 sounds good butttt, i just realized only has 2mb of total cache, 1mb per core :(, still good but i iunno if i wanna go back to small cache.
its 2mb shared not 1mb per core like fx. what exactly do you do that you need the extra 2mb's? i only bought the e6600 for the higher multi, cause the one i was looking at the e6500 wont be out till q1-07.

even look here
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=9
the overclocked e6300 @2.592 ghz isnt that far behind the e6700 @2.66ghz.

not sure if i would need it or not, just figured that since there is a performance differance when you go from 1-1mb on a single core cpu that there would be a diff on the conroe

EDIT: is the multi on the E6400 enough to get a max oc for the conroe core(with really good water cooling)?

Pirate_Freder said:
not sure if i would need it or not, just figured that since there is a performance differance when you go from 1-1mb on a single core cpu that there would be a diff on the conroe

EDIT: is the multi on the E6400 enough to get a max oc for the conroe core(with really good water cooling)?
you mobo will limit ur oc on the 63/64 long before the cpu runs out of steam. simply current mobos cant do 500fsb with out mods or extreme cooling, even then it will still be unstable.
the most a mobo has done with the highest voltage in bios being 1.8v for chipset is 480 i think or there abouts. These were on the new 965 boards though. The 975x boards have kinda dropped off for some reason at xs, atm i cant remember what they were clocking at.

Pirate_Freder said:
well i'm considering your mobo at the moment(abit ab9-pro). what's the max fsb on it?
Anatech had it topped out around 380ish i think it was. they were using a beta bios but word out of abit is they have a board that will be doing 425-450mhz. They didnt say what mobo but with the aw9d-max not out yet that could be the one. It could be the ab9-pro but the bios needs a bit o work.

greenmaji said:
And if Im not mistaking.. isnt that an ECS mobo your trying to OC your 930D on? That just MIGHT be the problem.

that probably is why, but it was essentially free. it's not bad @ stock for free.

EDIT: i actually got this ecs board to overclock...finally. 3.33ghz, any faster and the hard drives mess up. i haven't done much intel overclocking but my guess is this board won't lock the pci/agp bus speeds. i'll take what i can get.

Last edited:
Back to the original question

OK, I was wondering whether the 950 Preslers would be out in a C stepping to retail buyers. In another thread, someone linked to Intel's product spec page that suggests there will be no C stepping for the 950. So I am buying a 945 for considerably less than a B stepping 950 from MWave. I know that Conroe is all the rage, but it requires a new mobo, which is more than I can afford now. I'll bet that Conroe prices drop after 6 months. News reports say Intel has produced too many chips and is going to have to sell them somehow.

Not that anybody but me still cares... but did they ever get around to releasing C1 930s? I'm selling all my current parts and could use a CPU while I wait on Conroe...

according to intels cpu finder. the C1 stepping cpus are as follows.

SL9QB 3.40 GHz 945 05A 800 MHz 65 nm C1 4 MB LGA 775
SL9D9 3.00 GHz 925 05A 800 MHz 65 nm C1 4 MB LGA 775
SL9DA 2.80 GHz 915 05A 800 MHz 65 nm C1 4 MB LGA 775

other c1's are out but oem only and not listed in intel sspec finder. with that said the sweet spot looks like the 915 P-D. @145 at the egg.

Back