• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C2D, and 8600GTS 256

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

logicrules

Hi Guys,
I’m new here. I’m trying to get the best method of OC’ing my CPU, and video card.
I have a C2D6750, DDR2 800 x2, Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R MB, and an NVIDIA 8600GTS 256 video card.
At this time I have a Thermalright V2 cooler on the video card, which seems to do a fair amount of cooling. The temperature dropped from 62c to 47c immediately upon install. If I run Far Cry the temp goes up to 57c. The OC was done with Gigabyte’s ETC.

I have the C2D running at 3244 according to BIOS. I have the memory set at 810c. The CPU OC was done thru the BIOS. I have the stock cooler on the C2D.
According to SpeedFan4.33 the temps are:
Temp1: 34c, Temp2: 36c, HD0: 30c, HD1: 38c, Core0: 25c, Core1:25c, Core: 49c, Ambient: 0c. The room temp is about 27c.
This all seems well but I would like to push it a little farther without doing any damage.
I would appreciate some advice.
TIA

What are load temps? (use Prime95 or Orthos to load CPU) What volts are you using for that CPU overclock?

To get the most out of that 8600 you could volt mod.

Ahem... you think I know what you said makes sense. I'm trying to learn. The temps are as stated. The MB BIOS is not the most enlightening, there are many settings I do not understand. I took the best shot I could understand to get this far.

you're reading the temps fine but those are IDLE which doesn't tell you much. you need to get your processor to full load and see how they are then. this is the best way to see if it will potentially be harmed by an overclock. generally, anything below 60 is comfortable for a cpu. above that is iffy. as said, use prime95 or orthos. with prime95, you'll need to run two instances. research it.

I used ATItool rather than Prime5, it desired to run a cupla days, and it appeared that a setting of 730 - 1045 was about the best that I could get on the 8600GTS without pushing the temp too high

The CPU remains somewhat mysterious to me. I dropped the CPU speed to 3214 MHz and the memory frequency to 804. I am concered that thess particular settings may have an adverse affects on the memory temps. Is there a way to monitor mem temps cheaply?

My System voltages are:

High Speed DRAM Section
System Voltage Control Auto
DDR2 Overvoltage Control Normal
FSB Overvoltage Control Normal
(G)MCH Overvoltage Control Normal
CPU Voltage Control Normal
Normal CPU Vcore 1.350000

I suspect that these are the voltages mentioned in the 2,2,2,5 remarks I have seen. I assume thay mean .2, .2, .2, .5 but I would not like to make any changes until I am sure. I am not aware of just what the settings should be in order to benefit. All of the 'normal' settings can be changed to .2, .3, etc. But what about the CPU Vcore?

One other thing; can I get the replies or a notice to my posts emailed to me?
TIA

i don't know what the 2,2,2,5 remarks are but that sounds more like memory timings than voltages.

depending on your specific memory, it might be running out of spec. some memory is meant to run at 2.1V or above. most motherboards default the memory voltage to 1.8V so you might need to bump the voltage a little to get good stability and timings.

adjusting the cpu vcore is all up to you. it will generally give you more stability and higher overclocks but it also produces more heat and can cause damage to the chip if it gets too high.

Back