• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable TV viewed on a laptop, what do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
A friend bought a Dell E1405 laptop. Now he wants to watch Cable Television on the laptop.

Question: What hardware/software does he need to acquire for this project?

Note: Disabled elderly person with limited mobility and no technical skills, so easy to use is an important feature.

Thanks for the input.

I'd stay away from USB models unless it's an external (not one of the thumbdrive tuners) with onboard encoding. The pure software models typically have lockup and audio/video sync issues and are just junk. If a decent PCMCIA tuner can be found then that is probably what I would do for simplicity's sake (no extra power cords and such). The only problem is that I don't know if PCMCIA models have built-in encoding.

Software usually comes with tuners, but depending on what it is, it may be junk.

I can't really recommend a specific tuner since I've never had to deal with USB/PCMCIA types, but that should narrow it down a bit. Also, you get what you pay for in these things.

I would check into a Slingbox. The big advantage is that you can view the TV on any computer on your network, and over the internet. I just bought one and it works great on both my wired computers and my wireless laptops.

blkdiamond said:
I would check into a Slingbox. The big advantage is that you can view the TV on any computer on your network, and over the internet. I just bought one and it works great on both my wired computers and my wireless laptops.

Forgot about those. That's probably what I would do too, now that you mention it. No extra hardware hanging off the laptop and a simple media player is all that he'll need to deal with.

Back