• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinz

Registered
The game runs flawlessly performance-wise, but if freezes my whole computer for up to 20 seconds at a time and it happens like 4 times an hour. The game freezes, then after like 5 seconds the sound goes out. I don't have problems with any of the other games that I have tried. (Quake 4, CS:Source, DoD:Source, Call of Duty 1). I had the same problem with the single-player demo. I just built this new computer about a week ago, here are the specs:

MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
eVGA 7800 GT
1gig of Corsair ValueSelect

I was having these problems so I formatted my hard drive in hopes of fixing it, but it still continues to happen. My BIOS/video card drivers/soundcard drivers/chipset drivers are all up to date and temps are below 30 degrees celcius except for my video card which doesn't get over like 47 degrees celcius when I'm playing. Any Ideas? Call of Duty 2 is one of the reasons I bought this new computer, any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to try anything.

Edit: I benchmarked my computer using 3dmark 05 and I'm getting the scores that I should be getting.

Edit2: If this post is better off in another section, which one would it be? I wasn't sure where to post this.

Last edited:
i just had this happen to me with CoD2, on my 6800GT machine. i didnt do it before. all i can think of is drivers. i just installed beta 81.87.what drivers are you using ?

Burnt_Ram said:
i just had this happen to me with CoD2, on my 6800GT machine. i didnt do it before. all i can think of is drivers. i just installed beta 81.87.what drivers are you using ?

I am also using 81.87. Also, I do not think it's overheating as it doesn't happen with other games and the temps don't get too high.

skinz said:
I am also using 81.87. Also, I do not think it's overheating as it doesn't happen with other games and the temps don't get too high.
try 81.84, they worked great for me. only reason i installed the 87's was because supposedly they where better for cod2 .. not

I'd try to RMA the video card since you got the parts pretty recently....only thing I can think of...
have you tried running another game intense like Q4?

Hmmm I think I found the problem. I called Activision (the company that makes COD 2) and the guy made me run msconfig. Then I clicked the Sevices tab and checked the box "Hide all Microsoft Services". After that, the only service on the list was Nvidia Display Driver Service. I disabled it and my game runs like it should now. I went into my video card options and saw that my card isn't overclocked anymore. I ran 3dmark 05 and my score went down 800 points. I guess I can't overclock and play COD 2 or I just can't use coolbits and I'll have to use Riva Tuner, what do you guys think?

Back