• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone recommend some Linux HW?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misfit138

Well, my battle with learning Linux, while living with a Linux learning disability rages on....but I have a new plan.
I have learned that some hardware (obscure SiS audio and video chipsets on Asrock MB, ATI x1800xl) doesnt play well will Linux.....However, my daughter's EPoX nForce2 EP-8RDA3I pro actually seems to mesh quite well, and onboard sound actually works! So my plan is to use some existing hardware and purchase a budget mobo/vid card.
Can anyone recommend a very inexpensive video card? I am learning that nVidia Linux support is better than ATI, so I was thinking of the aforementioned EPoX board, ($56), a spare AXP3000, and perhaps a geforce 6200 or FX5500. Thoughts? Comments?
Thanks!

NVidia provide binray kernel drivers that work with all of the GeForce series cards. The drivers support full 3D acceleration and are about as fast as the Windows drivers. Either of the cards you've mentioned, or any GeForce card (apart from perhaps the very latest) for that matter will work well. As far as the choice of mother board, nForce2 based boards have had good support for a while now so you should have no problems there. The CMedia onboard audio controller should also be supported by ALSA. The onboard network will work with the forcedeth driver, which has also been stable for a while. The hardware you have suggested shouldn't cause you any headaches with Linux support.

On a general note, it is a good idea to avoid any kind of hardware that is mostly software driven, i.e. WinModems. hardware like this is often not well supported under Linux.

Back