• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can higher frequency ram at lower speeds yield tighter timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bishoff, I found that with certain sets of Ram on my Fx 8350 to run above 1866 Mhz you need to raise the Cpu Nb Voltage to 1.35V.

Thanks for the tip Mandrake...do you know if this applies to the board I have? Some reading I have done from other owners was not the greatest with ram & of course the VRM issues. With that said, I can give it a go and see, as at least I have a stable point I can go back to.

Vrm issues on these boards are related mainly to CPU voltage drops. Memory should still work at higher clocks or at least 1866-2133. 1866 is actually standard memory clock for FX memory controller so it should be fine at auto settings. 2133+ needs higher CPU-NB voltage ~1.30-1.35V to keep stability.

Thanks for the tip Mandrake...do you know if this applies to the board I have? Some reading I have done from other owners was not the greatest with ram & of course the VRM issues. With that said, I can give it a go and see, as at least I have a stable point I can go back to.
Depends on where the board is setting the Cpu Nb voltage, my CHV was setting it to 1.18 v which wasn't enough for me to run any of my sticks much above 1600 Mhz with stability. After testing and messing with my different sets of sticks I found I needed to run 1.35 Cpu Nb v to run any of them at or above 1866 Mhz. It may also be that my IMC on the Fx 8350 may be on the weaker side. Additionally, with you running 2 x 8g sticks it will put more stress on the IMC so adding a bit of additional voltage may help.

This board has 2 voltage settings for NB. One is "NB Voltage" and the other is NB core" I set the "NB Voltage" to 1.35, and set the ram to 1866 and it wouldn't post. Had to clear cmos and start over again. I'm guessing I need to adjust the core but every time I try enter a voltage for "nb core" it reverts back to auto.

Last edited:
It's Nb Core Voltage and you're the second person I've seen of late with a Gigabyte UD3 board that couldn't change the Nb Core voltage.

It's Nb Core Voltage and you're the second person I've seen of late with a Gigabyte UD3 board that couldn't change the Nb Core voltage.

yea I'm not happy at all with this thing. This is what I get for not getting the CHV. I went from a CHIII to this and I knew I should have stuck with Asus high end.

Upon tinkering a bit more today, the NB core is adjustible but it's by +x.x values. I tried a +0.125 and it actually would post but was very unstable and crashed 10mins later with windows just idling. I tried 0.150, 0.175, and 0.25 jump and it wouldn't post. This board just won't run this memory set @ 1866 and I pretty much give up. Oh well, my solution is to switch to X99 when it releases anyway at this point. I love AMD but it's time I give the other guys a go.

Oh well, my solution is to switch to X99 when it releases anyway at this point. I love AMD but it's time I give the other guys a go.
I hear ya, AMD have left us enthusiasts out to dry!

Not really, they still let you have fun with Overclocking.. But yes not as strong as Intel by quite a margin, unfortunately. Maybe one day intel overclocks will be fun again :shrug:

APUs are not fun at all ... maybe only AM1 just because they're also cheap ;) APU motherboards are usually not OC friendly. If you want to OC something then you have to get highest models. Even most expensive AMD/APU boards are worse quality than average Intel and have also worse support.
My 1st try with FM2+ APU was dead board in about 3h and it was top ASRock A88X board.

I'm not sure if X99 will be worth to buy. I mean nice, cheaper 6 cores, but slow and overpriced DDR4 and early DDR4 platform which will be probably replaced pretty quick to something supporting higher frequencies. X99 from 1st look is like X79 with M.2 support and DDR4. Like anyone needs DDR4 and M.2. The only advantage can be new CPUs but only if they will overclock good. If we get something like 1150 Haswells then it's just waste of money.
I already started to look for a 10-12 core CPU for my X79. I expect that on auctions will appear some popular series under $500-600. I'm not sure if I find what I want. Maybe faster I will move to something new, hard to say.

APUs are not fun at all ... maybe only AM1 just because they're also cheap ;) APU motherboards are usually not OC friendly. If you want to OC something then you have to get highest models. Even most expensive AMD/APU boards are worse quality than average Intel and have also worse support.
My 1st try with FM2+ APU was dead board in about 3h and it was top ASRock A88X board.

I'm not sure if X99 will be worth to buy. I mean nice, cheaper 6 cores, but slow and overpriced DDR4 and early DDR4 platform which will be probably replaced pretty quick to something supporting higher frequencies. X99 from 1st look is like X79 with M.2 support and DDR4. Like anyone needs DDR4 and M.2. The only advantage can be new CPUs but only if they will overclock good. If we get something like 1150 Haswells then it's just waste of money.
I already started to look for a 10-12 core CPU for my X79. I expect that on auctions will appear some popular series under $500-600. I'm not sure if I find what I want. Maybe faster I will move to something new, hard to say.

Doesn't X99 support both ddr 3 & 4?

As far as I know only DDR4.
Here is one of the links with some info:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-haswell-e-has-8-coresx99-chipsetddr4-memory.html
I bet you can find better source. I just picked one of the 1st links ;)

"Wellsburg will only allow you to install DDR4 type RAM on the motherboard, with speed configurations being in steps of 1333 MHz, 1600 MHz, 1866 MHz and 2133 MHz. Something tells us that 2133 MHz will be the minimum speed of DDR4 kits that go on sale next year "

Broadwell should have support for DDR3 and DDR4 but I have no idea if we see 2 new chipsets or the same CPU will work on Z97 and Z107 boards ( I think it will be 107 as next series will be 100 , we will see when it hits the market ). Broadwell should work with Z97 boards so that's for sure DDR3 support. There will be also Skylake in 1-2 quarter of 2015 ( hard to say if 1st samples or premiere ).

Back