• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I buy these RAM sticks with my board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamper420

Hello,
I am about to buy

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel ... - Retail

* DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
* Timing 5-5-5-15
* Cas Latency 5

I had a buddy build my computer a year ago.
Here are the specs.
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

Motherboard Manufacturer... Gigabyte Tech.
Model... M61SME-S2

Memory
Type.. DDR2
Size....1024 MBytes
Dram Frequency 318.1 MHz

Thanks in Advance.

First off, that cpu won't support 1066 ram. And second off, I'm sure that that board supports the 1066 as there are two entries in the giga-byte list that was posted.

Hello,
I am about to buy

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel ... - Retail

* DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
* Timing 5-5-5-15
* Cas Latency 5

I had a buddy build my computer a year ago.
Here are the specs.
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

Motherboard Manufacturer... Gigabyte Tech.
Model... M61SME-S2

Memory
Type.. DDR2
Size....1024 MBytes
Dram Frequency 318.1 MHz

Thanks in Advance.
:welcome: to OCF!

It would really help a lot to know what RAM you're running right now. Manufacturer and model number is good. ;) Chances are there are some good upgrades to what you have that will run on that board but current info is essential for an informed decision ...

:welcome: to OCF!

It would really help a lot to know what RAM you're running right now. Manufacturer and model number is good. ;) Chances are there are some good upgrades to what you have that will run on that board but current info is essential for an informed decision ...

Manufacturer....Kingston
serial number....1fcc65d7

Im thinking about just buying a new MB to support the 2 sticks of 2 gigs each.
Can you recommend any good MB to buy?

Do you have your own graphics card? How much are you looking to spend?

If you've got the money I'd look at upgrading into something that will support later chips as well as your existing one. It might cost a little more now but you won't need to replace it for awhile.

Let is know that your thoughts are ...

Do you have your own graphics card? How much are you looking to spend?

If you've got the money I'd look at upgrading into something that will support later chips as well as your existing one. It might cost a little more now but you won't need to replace it for awhile.

Let is know that your thoughts are ...

What do you think about me buying this MB for $119?

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

* AM2+/AM2
* NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI
* 4×240pin DDR2 1066

and for memory at $44?

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel ... - Retail

* DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
* Timing 5-5-5-18
* Cas Latency 5

I dont know how to check what processor or video card I have.
I'm I going to have to buy a new processor and video card too?

I dont know how to check what processor or video card I have.
I'm I going to have to buy a new processor and video card too?
I thought you had a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+??? The board I linked will support that - I don't know about the one you listed.

Video cards are never a problem as long as it's not AGP. Look to see what color slot your card is in now. If it's in one of the white slots you're good to go. If it's in the black slot you'll need another video solution ...

Back