• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I control the CPU Cooler Fan speed with a Fan Controller (Rhoebus)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hopeseeker

Registered
Hi, I have put together a new PC and it's all nice and cool, but I have a total of 6 (six) case fans (1x 22mm, 3x 18mm, 1x 14 mm, 1 x 12mm), plus 2 (two) 14mm fans attached to the CPU cooler.
Directly attached to the Power supply , these 8 fans make an unbearable noise. So something must be done and I was going to buy a fan controller because the situation just can't stay as it is now.
The question is: can I plug the CPU cooler to the fan controller (Rhoebus), so that I can control its fan speeds? Right now the CPU cooler is plugged into the motherboard, and if I want to change the speeds I need to use a program or to go into the bios, while I wopuld like to just have everything at hand (Case fans and CPU fans).
Imagine that the fan controller could theorically support my 4 pin CPU cooler AND my 3 pin case fans. Just tell me if this is doable. My fear is that the motherboard will "see nothing" plugged into the CPU fan socket, and not boot anymore or start warning me that my PC will melt soon if I don't do something about it.:mad:
CPU cooler Cooler Master V8 GTS (has 4 pin connector)
Motherboard ROG Rampage V Extreme
Fans have 3 pin male connector

You have tiny fans. :p

Being serious, yes you can so long as your controller can support 3 pin and isn't PWM only (see its manual). You should be able to disable that CPU header in the bios.

I was looking at this fan controller: Sentry 3. In the item description there is an enormous "Compatibility" banner and under it: "Connect and control any 3-Pin or 4-Pin PWM fan on the market!" https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/144-sentry-3-fan-controller.html
Now headache, headache what is this PWM and most importantly will this work?
Edit: I just realised the fans are actually 1x 220mm, 3x 180mm, 1x 140 mm, 1 x 120mm, plus 2 140mm fans attached to the CPU cooler and not 1 x 22mm etc obviously

Last edited:
Back