• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I fairly easily upgrade my Athlon 850/Select?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainmpirical

Registered
Hello, Clockers. Anyone know if I can upgrade my Athlon 850/Select on my current motherboard?

(This Jabil [Kadoka] board sucks, without documentation!)
The Slot A processor is a K7850MPR52B A AMD. I guess that's a Pluto, Model 2.

I was hoping to do a CPU upgrade on this thing. I'm studying for an A+ Certification, and one of my labs is a CPU upgrade lab.
But, can I upgrade from Pluto to Thunderbird with my existing board and BIOS, which is 0AASNP06 AmiBIOS?
I upgraded from V5 to the V6 (0AASNP06), myself, so it doesn't scare me....but, I've never had to upgrade a BIOS because of getting a new chip.
I'm seriously broke, so cost is a factor.

What can I upgrade to with this board? Can I put in a T-bird Athlon 950? An Athlon 1100B? What are the constraints on this Jabil Kadoka (part# 4000673) as it relates to CPU upgrading? And, does BIOS matter, for CPU upgrades?

P.S. 1 of these days I plan on oc'ing this 850, but, now I need to get my A+ certification and make some bucks, first!

Whoa, thats some OLD stuff there.. I have no idea. Your best bet it to go the board makers website and see if they have a CPU compatibility chart for that board.

I don't think they do motherboards anymore (and don't carry specs on the old stuff). ... (Thanks, though! )

Yeah....that old Gateway Desktop (System Model "8DT-084_") was upgraded with (new mobo &) new chip (850/Select) by Gatway around September 2000. The chip has 2000 on it---12 years, and still going is fantastic!).

I know I'm going to have to chart system Wattage usage, and consider cooling--givens, so just need to know what else to do to prepare for, and upgrade.
--EDIT--
I got the cpu off. It's a "K7850MPR528 A". I guess it's a Pluto (Pre-Thunderbird). I wonder if I can use a T-bird. Not sure what all to look at.

I'm having second thoughts, especially after noticing the plastic enclosure around the 850/Select. Is that some kind of box I'm going to need to crack open, to put another, like Athlon 1000B in? Will I need to glue it back together, then? I'm lost on that one.

Last edited:
I remember someone saying a long time ago that it was cheaper and easier to buy a new computer than to upgrade a processor. Obviously times have changed, but I have a feeling your old hardware hasn't. Good luck though, I'm not saying it's impossible.

Maybe I'll just upgrade my ECS motherboard computer (mobo K7VMM), instead of that Slot A. It's got an Athlon XP--Socket A.

Yeah. I got my Slot A out, now I just need to get this Socket A out!

Can anyone clue me in to this latch-type? I've seen scant articles.
Do I just pull the small tab I marked on the pic--away from the socket (toward me)?
athlonSocketA.jpg

I don't think they do motherboards anymore (and don't carry specs on the old stuff). ... (Thanks, though! )

Yeah....that old Gateway Desktop (System Model "8DT-084_") was upgraded with (new mobo &) new chip (850/Select) by Gatway around September 2000. The chip has 2000 on it---12 years, and still going is fantastic!).

I know I'm going to have to chart system Wattage usage, and consider cooling--givens, so just need to know what else to do to prepare for, and upgrade.
--EDIT--
I got the cpu off. It's a "K7850MPR528 A". I guess it's a Pluto (Pre-Thunderbird). I wonder if I can use a T-bird. Not sure what all to look at.

I'm having second thoughts, especially after noticing the plastic enclosure around the 850/Select. Is that some kind of box I'm going to need to crack open, to put another, like Athlon 1000B in? Will I need to glue it back together, then? I'm lost on that one.

You could try out internetarchive.com for their website, and see if they have a capture of a time when they had the specs on it.

if i remember correctly( looks very much like my old pIII socket) : you need a flat head screwdriver .
1. put the screwdriver head in the gap
2. slowly push down and towards the expansion slot .

Push the flex part down pull back on the chrome part.

You'll figure it out. Too bad it's so old there is no Youtube videos on how to do it.

Honestly, I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the mobo and processor. It's that old. It's worth under $50 for the whole PC and more a toss in the recyling bin. I wouldn't try to upgrade a thing on it.

I just found a Youtube video on this old fan (
).

If the old CPU, and the new one I'm putting in have the same bus speed of 266MHz, does that mean I won't have to mess with jumpers (or BIOS)? My BIOS (AmiBIOS update 03/28/2003) doesn't have any clock multiplier settings. (planning on replacing my Athlon XP 1700+ with an XP 2100+ [...I think they have the same bus speed rating] ).

I'm trying to study for my A+ Certification (and have actually scheduled the test for next month)...that's why I'm upgrading--it's for a lab.

Growing up, it was nice to have a big bro (or 3) to ask questions to: now, I wish I had a little bro, since my big ones never messed with such stuff (except one of my big brothers had a Digi-Comp I, v2 [I think he still has it!]--a far cry from an Athlon XP) .

Last edited:
Success upgrading my Athlon XP 1700+ to my 2100+.
Didn't have to mess with jumpers, BIOS (or anything)!
Arctic Silver 5 was burned in with LinX 11.0.0.004 on a 17 minute run. Had to use the 32 bit version, though...when I tried running the 64bit version, got a notice of a missing file.
This has been an invaluable website.
Thanks, clockers!

I doubt that...AS-5's "break in" period is 200 hours. Something else changed such ambient temps.

Again, just cycle your CPU normally and it will 'burn in' by itself... you cannot rush time.

My old Athlon XP 1700+ was running around 125 degrees (F). The new one, around 127...A.S.-5's doing it's job.

Glad I have a Hardware monitor.

While AS-5 has a break in time of 200 hours, temps usually change only 0-2c. Furthermore it is lightyears behind current high end TIMs...

Back