• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I hook computer speakers up to my TV too?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bantre said:
My biggest saddness of this thread comes knowing they no longer sell these speakers:( At least the Z-680's ae only 265 now.
the saddest part of this thread is finding hope in the Z-680s which are possibly the worst comp speakers for the money. they have the worst distortion i have ever seen at 10%. a standard HT reciever is usually .1%-1% and a high end reciever is typically about .05%. the 680s have horrible hiss due to that 10% THD.
Bantre said:
If nothing else maybe we have educated everyone else and ourselves abit more even if we are both to arrogant to give in which is a better deal;p
My deal saves $1,350 dollars or nearly 75%. how is yours a deal? its not even a true 5.1 setup.

Go back and reread it all.
I am not over-exaggerating the capabilities of these speakers, they DO sound great. They do not sound exceptional, I have stated this a few times already.
Go read the reviews on the sound range , movie playback, gaming, come back and say they don't.

I have $135 speakers that blow most people away, the range is great the sound is great. It is not some exceptional setup that is meant to be pure bliss, it is meant to sound great and get the job done, and that it does!
How much is in your system counting the professional installer?

This guy was asking about connecting up some 5.1 speakers to his TV , not having a concert hall in his house. I surely doubt he has the time, or money or desire to invest in such a system.

The difference between great $135 speakers that will provide most with everything they want, verus $680 HT speakers is a x800 Pro video card...

I had this same setup in the other room previously, and the sound in that room (19x14) was much different, so yes speaker placement and size of room does indeed effect how sound travels and what effect it has on how ranges are perceived.

Placement has everything to do with it in a small room as the echo bounce is quicker and shorter then in a large room such as say yours. The full range bounce in a large room would need more drivers/power to overcome the secondary redirects off the various walls then in a small room.
This is despite exact same placement, the bounce would vary considerably in a room with over twice as much Sq footage to "fill"

As for your other statements previously:
Line one: Addressed already in space/configuration options.
Line two: Addressed in the either go spend alot or spend some and be done with it. Not everyone wants to save for a year to just get better sound then they have.

Line three: Its as 3" as well:Our measurements of the frequency response of both the subwoofer and satellites are very good. Approximately +/- 5 dB from 156 Hz through to 20 kHz. The main range outside a +/- 3 dB range comes between 6.6 kHz and 9.4 kHz with a +4.75 dB peak at 7.9 kHz.
I never said it was the best , I said it was great for the price, and it was when it was offered.
Here is a tip, everyone hears differently and these consistently sound good to anyone reviewing them at the time, or people that have heard them in person.
Line four: Addressed in reviews, they are 3" not 2" drivers. Sound range came back great in any of the hundred+ reviews you can do a 5 minute search to fine.
Line five: I have never turned mine up over 40% with the max settings inside of windows, and drive people from the room.
It IS clear at that vollume, and it is thumping. As per again the reviews.

I never ever said it was the best choice, I said it was the best choice to money ratio over and over again. Oh wait, that and every other point was missed!
I'm glad you both know the "best" there is and what everyone else has sounds like, I really am, however as per last 2 years I won't be back, its fruitless. As usual here people only hear what they want, and nothing else is a good choice because everyone "knows" what is so perfect. God forbid someone else have something they are very happy with and gives some advice that is in disagreement with how they spent all thier money.

The orginal posted asked nothing about a big *** rack system, HT $680 speakers , or anything else. He wanted to know if he could connect it to his TV. I answered this in my orginal post and how I did it, did either of you?
No instead you went on to claim speaker ranges, how other peoples stuff sounds and how stupid it was to not order what you think is perfect.
I offered a option if he didn't want to go with Zab's suggestion.
I never said it was a bad suggestion or wasn't as good. I said there are other options if he wanted to spend less then he posted, and have good sound and ability to control it. As again per the reviews that just blew away people on how good these speakers were for the price compared to other options.

This is your yard, I respect that, god forbid someone has a suggestion and even backs up what they say yet the know it alls dont even bother to go read the links or know what they have before they start telling them how "lack of brains" they have.

I have seen on reason to get a 5.1 sound setup, again I use this room as my computer room. The sound is great enough to not have to consider spending a ton more money to get what I want out of it, which is as I stated better then MOST have.
How does your deal save $1350 ? He has the computer, he has the TV.
All he wanted was some speakers to be better then the TV sound.

I never said it was the best option for anyone, I said different on numerous occassions. I said I have it, unlike you, and I love it. I love having the money I didn't spend on a penile waving system to make me feel good and go around saying mines bigger then yours!
OMG he doesn't have what I do and likes it, hes a brainless idiot!

The really sad fact of the matter is I have backed up everything I have said, provided links, observations and help to the orginal poster. What exactly have you done again?
Really, get over yourselves.
Ban me, I'm out of here. The other websites are truely right about the people here.

Bantre said:
I'm out of here.

thats all i needed to hear. for once somthing from your computer sounds great :clap:

Bantre said:
I'm glad you both know the "best" there is and what everyone else has sounds like

looks over at his....Logitech Z640s, Telex EV Sonics, Klipsch 4.1s ,Altec Lansing 3.1, harmon kardon 3.1 computer speaker sets. gee, i where the h--- did i get the idea that i knew what computer speakers had to offer? Maybe i should ask somone who has more experience with the speakers than me.

Last edited:
the simple fact of the matter is you did not only offer a suggestion for your system, but took the extra step to say it was better than a hometheater setup which took this thread for the ride we are on now.

i would have no problem with you suggesting your system. everyone is entitled to their opinion, however making completely false claims should never be allowed to go without correction.

Bantre said:
The freqency range of what I have and Bass response is fairly exceptional when you convert $ to DBA and quality.

It is no different the CPU Mhz to $ conversion of whats reasonable verus paying a ton more to be just slightly better imo.

Technically my room is very closed in, being practically on the sub and less dispersion into a large room, the bass is really amplified futher as is sound echo and response( there is no odd corners, large spaces for the sound to redirect itself. So clearly I am literally in the center of sound, which covers the range of bass/speaker gap ratio.
You seem qualified to know how that will effect sound and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Being as I am never more then 2 feet from either my LCDs or TV and I am the center box of all vollume in a close small box room, placement and such has made it to be where I doubt I can do much better , and I still stand by it :)

Interesting that you say bass response is exceptional when measured on an A weighted scale. You do realize that A weighting follows the natural sensitivity of the ear right? The sound pressure levels in decibels will be much lower in the bass region than the standard C weighing used to measure speaker output. I suppose you could use an A weighted scale to measure speakers, but why????

You cannot measure a subjective figure such as sound quality in comparison to an objective figure such as processor speed. But then again, per your words, speakers are all about loudness right?

The dispersion levels for your subwoofer should be completely omnidirectional, the room size will not affect this. The smaller room dimensions will allow for MORE sound "redirection", not less. Even in a small room you are not going to be "in the middle of the sound" in fact, the bass will almost certainly be less in the middle of the room due to the standing waves - just like a larger room. The only difference is that the frequency of the standing waves will be higher in your smaller room. With dimensions of 9 feet, you will have standing waves between parallel walls at around 125hz. Which would cause deep nulls in the middle of the room, and peaking near the walls. Im glad you realize that the crossover frequency between the sub and satillites is probably in this reason, but in your center of the room listening position, you will probably have a null in the crossover region. But perhaps your speaker placement fixed this problem?

If you don't mind, could you explain your speaker/subwoofer placement?

Bantre said:
Go back and reread it all.
I am not over-exaggerating the capabilities of these speakers, they DO sound great.

Thats great! I don't think anyone is disputing your opinion on a pair of speakers though. And even though YOU may think they sound great, others may think they sound terrible.

I have $135 speakers that blow most people away, the range is great the sound is great. It is not some exceptional setup that is meant to be pure bliss, it is meant to sound great and get the job done, and that it does!
How much is in your system counting the professional installer?

Again, opinion, has no basis in this discussion. And I know Maxvla's setup didnt require professional installation, its not really rocket science....

The difference between great $135 speakers that will provide most with everything they want, verus $680 HT speakers is a x800 Pro video card...
You are qualified to speak for everyone?

Placement has everything to do with it in a small room as the echo bounce is quicker and shorter then in a large room such as say yours. The full range bounce in a large room would need more drivers/power to overcome the secondary redirects off the various walls then in a small room.
This is despite exact same placement, the bounce would vary considerably in a room with over twice as much Sq footage to "fill"

Uh no. The "echo" is not the reason one needs increased acoustical power in larger areas. The reason is that there is simply more air in the area for the speakers to pressurize.

Line three: Its as 3" as well:Our measurements of the frequency response of both the subwoofer and satellites are very good. Approximately +/- 5 dB from 156 Hz through to 20 kHz. The main range outside a +/- 3 dB range comes between 6.6 kHz and 9.4 kHz with a +4.75 dB peak at 7.9 kHz.
I never said it was the best , I said it was great for the price, and it was when it was offered.
Here is a tip, everyone hears differently and these consistently sound good to anyone reviewing them at the time, or people that have heard them in person.
Line four: Addressed in reviews, they are 3" not 2" drivers. Sound range came back great in any of the hundred+ reviews you can do a 5 minute search to fine.
Line five: I have never turned mine up over 40% with the max settings inside of windows, and drive people from the room.
It IS clear at that vollume, and it is thumping. As per again the reviews.
What measurement equipment did you use to come to those figures? Do you have graphs I could look at? Or is it just an uncited source? Those measurements dont mean a lot since they dont even specify if smoothing is used, or the accuracy of those measurements....

Here's another tip. Everyone does hear differently, yes. So why are you listening to the subjective reviews of computer product reviewers? Anedoctal evidence is no evidence at all.

What you call a great sound range others would call poor. A +/-5dB window is somewhat large, especially with no information on smoothing or resolution used.

Your definition of clear and thumping is probably different from everyone else's. You also say that you never turn the volume up past 40%. I hope you realize that even though the gain on your soundcard isnt at full output, you could be driving your speakers well beyond their linear limits.

I never ever said it was the best choice, I said it was the best choice to money ratio over and over again. Oh wait, that and every other point was missed!
I'm glad you both know the "best" there is and what everyone else has sounds like, I really am, however as per last 2 years I won't be back, its fruitless. As usual here people only hear what they want, and nothing else is a good choice because everyone "knows" what is so perfect. God forbid someone else have something they are very happy with and gives some advice that is in disagreement with how they spent all thier money.

You said it was the best choice to money ratio, huh? So everyone in the world would agree with you then, right? Otherwise, its your OPINION. The only thing people are disputing is your incorrect advice, NOT YOUR OPINION.

The orginal posted asked nothing about a big *** rack system, HT $680 speakers , or anything else.

Why did you bring up yours then?

As again per the reviews that just blew away people on how good these speakers were for the price compared to other options.
I hear reviews all the time about people reviewing cables that cost over 100 dollars and saying how they blow everything out of the water. Does that make them a good value too?

I love having the money I didn't spend on a penile waving system to make me feel good and go around saying mines bigger then yours!
OMG he doesn't have what I do and likes it, hes a brainless idiot!
WOW, was that attack necessary? Just because you dont see better value in higher quality speakers doesnt mean everyone else doesnt. :mad:

The really sad fact of the matter is I have backed up everything I have said, provided links, observations and help to the orginal poster. What exactly have you done again?

You havent backed up much of your argument, and it even seems you didnt cite several measurements.

Back