• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i overck with this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

hey guys i built the PC in my sig which i want ed to overclock my opteron 144 to 2.6 GHZ which the bad news is my power supply's +12v is only 18A. I was told that it needs to be 24A to overclock. Is that true or can i overclock with no problem?

Maybe....What wattage/brand? You're running a low-end video card, so that helps. Modern gaming cards use a lot of wattage. If it's a good brand/model and good wattage rating your probably OK. It's a generic/junk brand I'd toss it and pick up a better model.

I think it's pretty safe. I ran an OCed a64 (2.65ghz 1.55v) with an x800gt on a no name 300w PSU, and nothing bad happened.

dan

There has never been any official amperage limit that you need to meet to start overclocking. I would say that you might be able to do some overclocking, but you will most likely reach that PSU's limit relatively quick.

The TR2 430W is Heroichi made - not that great but not that bad either. Overclocking should be fine as long as the video card stays the same - anything more power hungry would find the Thermaltake's limits fairly quick.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332

It's an older design, so an all 12v rig will be crossloading it. Keep an eye on the 5v and 12v with a meter - if the 5v goes unusually high and the 12v unusually low, it's being stressed too far. Otherwise, I'd give it a try.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
18A... off the top of my head, I would say somewhere around 320W-350W right? Not enough imo.

No its 430-watts. the brand is thermaltank.

tyler_bishop said:
Ur video card is agp, that board is pci xpress. Better get a new video card. And thermaltake makes **** psu.

No its the PCI version of it.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
The TR2 430W is Heroichi made - not that great but not that bad either. Overclocking should be fine as long as the video card stays the same - anything more power hungry would find the Thermaltake's limits fairly quick.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332

It's an older design, so an all 12v rig will be crossloading it. Keep an eye on the 5v and 12v with a meter - if the 5v goes unusually high and the 12v unusually low, it's being stressed too far. Otherwise, I'd give it a try.

I used the power supply tool that measures the wattage and wheni have the processor overclocked to 2.8 GHZ its only 396-Watts meaning i have an extra 34 watts. Im not changing the video card either. i will wheni get a new PSU which will be in a while.

Having an extra 34 watts is nothing. You never want to stress your psu to its limits for very long, and imho you are already doing that. Go pick yourself up a Sparkle or Fortron power supply that fits your needs and you will be surprised at how much cleaner your computer runs.

Back