• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I put PC3200 in a mobo meant for PC2100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Ok,
I should know this, it's just been a while since I've worked with any computer hardware. Moving away to college really does something to your cash flow; basically you're broke all the time and can't afford computer parts...

Anyways, I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend, basically it's not broken it's just sloooooooow because it's only got 96mb of memory and its running windows XP. Actually, it's a 128mb stick, but the mobo has onboard video and shares the system memory. Anyways, I'm trying to fix this before next wednesday because that's when I'm leaving and I'm not really sure if I ordered something 3 day shipping from newegg right now if I would get it in time. So, if I just go into the BIOS and underclock the RAM can I use a stick of PC3200 in a motherboard which only supports up to PC2100?

Here's the memory I was going to buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01169&id=1077630669390

I'd really appreciate any prompt answers, I'd kind of like to get this taken care of tomorrow (saturday).

PC3200 will work just fine, and will automatically clock down to PC2100 speed. You shouldn't even have to set anything in the Bios. Basically no one should buy anything less than PC3200 unless is uber-cheap, because it will clock down to whatever you need.

Well you have to make sure its 184-pin DIMM slots, sometimes if its an older mobo, it might still be PC2100, but a different size of DIMM slot.

It need not work fine. I found that out to my dismay, just a few minutes ago. I was replacing the RAM on my Uncle's crappy Dell and the damn thing refused to boot with PC3200 RAM. It needed PC2700 to work.

If you have a garbage PC like my Uncle's, I'd be very careful. Also, you might want to use single sided sticks whenever possible. That could be cause for concern too.

Back