• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use a notebook CPU on an internet browser desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LA357SIG

Registered
I have an AMD Phenom II that I salvaged from a laptop and I was thinking about putting together a budget desktop for my sons. The most they will be doing is internet browsing as well as browser based gaming and youtube. Would it be worth trying to make this work, or just get a desktop CPU?

Processor AMD Phenom™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processors
Model P650
OPN Tray HMP650SGR23GM
OPN PIB n/a
Operating Mode 32 Bit Yes
Operating Mode 64 Bit Yes
Frequency (MHz) 2600
System Bus Speed (MHz) 3600
Wattage 35 W
L2 Cache Size 1024
Process Technology 45nm SOI
Package/Infrastructure Socket S1 (AM3+...?)
AMD Virtualization Technology Yes

g00gle search for >> amd socket s1 motherboard << See the boards you get. They are for that laptop cpu with Socket S1.

I think there was some mITX boards made but I guess they would be quite hard to find now. Anyway, I'm thinking it would be cheaper for you to buy a cheap A-Series APU and FM2 board than to try and find a rare mITX S1 board. And you'd get twice the performance. ;)

Actually if he g00gle searchs for amd socket s1 motherboard as I suggested, there are a number of cheap boards still for sale. I think if he wanted any real performance though the later FM2 cpus would stomp a mudhole in that S1 processor he has acquired.
RGone...

Actually if he g00gle searchs for amd socket s1 motherboard as I suggested, there are a number of cheap boards still for sale. I think if he wanted any real performance though the later FM2 cpus would stomp a mudhole in that S1 processor he has acquired.
RGone...

Okay...? I was just seeing if I can reuse a still usable processor from a laptop in a child's desktop. If I wanted "MOAR POWER" I would just get a desktop CPU. Thanks anyway.

ETA: I was initially hoping to use the old Phenom II CPU because most AM3+ mobo descriptions say "compatible with Phenom II CPU's."

They're just saying that a 638 pin mobo is not going to be easy to find for a dexktop

LA357, what RGone is saying is this: That Phenom II is not compatible with AM3+. It requires a motherboard with the S1 socket, which was designed and built for laptops. There are mobos available, however, and RGone is giving you key-phrases to google for.

Here is where I read about the socket:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_S1

Okay...? I was just seeing if I can reuse a still usable processor from a laptop in a child's desktop. If I wanted "MOAR POWER" I would just get a desktop CPU. Thanks anyway.

ETA: I was initially hoping to use the old Phenom II CPU because most AM3+ mobo descriptions say "compatible with Phenom II CPU's."

As I said, there may be some non-laptop boards that will fit your CPU. However, you need to see for how much money they sell. Reusing a perfectly fine processor is a good idea, but it depends how much it will cost you to do so. We know for fact that you can have a new board and CPU for $100, so maybe it's not worth paying $80 for a used motherboard.

Just saying, it's up to you to do the research.

Cheers!

Back