• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing memory for an AMD FX-6100 3.3mhz on a GA-990XA-UD3 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Obsessed1

Help with choosing the best ram . . .

I am an extreme power user (with common sense and a budget) and I just purchased the following combination:

NOTE: I am not a gamer. This system will be used in n at home business application, stock trading, CAD and design. . . . many applications running at once with many calculations

GA-990XA-UD3
AMD FX-6100 3.3ghz (unlocked)

I am trying to get many opinions and reason befind each for what the best ram match for this setup would be. I am planning making the ram purchase today and after much reading I am unsure' Anyone answering, please understand that I realize that some making are better and more stable than others and that I would love your opinion on that as wel, maybe personal experiences too.

My main objective is to get ram that will allow me room to play and tweak without running into premature limits or restrictions. I plan on first purchasing (2) ram modules and then adding another matching (2) in a few weeks; Just not sure what others have experienced or already figured out, as far as the best match.

GA-990XA-UD3 Specs:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901#sp

Hyper Transport Bus
5200 MT/s

Chipset
North Bridge: AMD 990X
South Bridge: AMD SB950

Memory
(Note 1) 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory. Dual channel memory architecture
(Note 2) Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

Special Board Information

(Note 1) Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

(Note 2) To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AMD AM3+ CPU first.

AMD FX-6100 3.3ghz specs:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx-model-number-comparison.aspx

AMD64 Technology Yes
Simultaneous 32- & 64-bit computing Yes
L1 Cache (Instruction + Data) per core 128KB (64KB + 64KB)
L2 Cache (1MB per core) 8MB or 6MB or 4MB
L3 Cache 8MB (shared L3)
HyperTransport™ Technology
HyperTransport™ Technology up to 4000MT/s full duplex, or up to 16.0GB/s I/O Bandwidth
Integrated DDR3 Memory Controller Yes
Memory Controller Width 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth Up to 21 GB/s dual channel memory bandwidth
Total Processor-to-system Bandwidth (HyperTransport plus memory bandwidth) Up to 37 GB/s
Process Technology 32 nanometer, SOI (silicon-on-insulator) Technology
Packaging AM3+
Thermal Design Power 125W, & 95W
Type of Memory Supported Up to DDR3 18661

Im using Mushkin redline ridgeback (2133MHZ) and running them at 2000MHz and tighter timings 9,10,9,24,1T.

The other way to go is get a decent set of 1600MHz/1833MHz Ram and overclock instead. Often kits rated at 1.5v overclock well.

Corsair, Gskill, Mushkin all great brands.

Im using Mushkin redline ridgeback (2133MHZ) and running them at 2000MHz and tighter timings 9,10,9,24,1T.

The other way to go is get a decent set of 1600MHz/1833MHz Ram and overclock instead. Often kits rated at 1.5v overclock well.

Corsair, Gskill, Mushkin all great brands.

+1

Get 16 gb in 8x2 not 4x4. Two sticks are easier on the integrated memory controller.

Back